Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I'll Have Mine Toasted...

I feel like I've had a lot of random things to talk about lately, which can mean only one thing: the turkey sub hasn't been getting nearly enough air time. I realize, even though I've been taking a slew of pictures of her, and capturing all sorts of tasty moments to share, I've been a complete blog hog. SO, I plan to redeem myself entirely with a post so full of pictures of the sub your head might explode. I've already blown three fuses .... But mostly because my little girl is so grown up and beautiful these days that I feel like crying and laughing and having a panic attack all at once... which pretty much sums up what it feels like every day to be a mother.

Warning:

***NO NON-S.L.E.s (serious Leah enthusiasts) ALLOWED ***
Haters of posts consisting solely of child bragging and oogling need not continue

On Monday, the Hives (other wives currently replacing void left by absentee husband. husband+wives=hives. thank you) and I ventured to Indiana for the requisite fall appleorchardpumpkinpatch extravaganza. Leah was really getting into the spirit of this place with her tractor and rake.

Until she realized raking is for suckers and bull rushed me at the speed of light, swinging and chopping that rake in an attempt to take my life.

Whenever Leah would disappear for any amount of time I would find her here. Peeping.

We interrupt today's programming with a Quick Blog Post Progress Report:

Thus far this post has taken me no less than 2 hours to complete. The process has been as follows:

...click back and forth from picture to picture. Zoom in. Grin like tard. Zoom out. Grin like tard. Swell with pride. Brim with tears. Grin like tard....

.... fight Leah off with left hand while hunt-peck typing with right. Get annoyed. Find something within reach to distract. Throw with precision into bedroom. Contemplate running and closing door with her inside. Feel a little guilty. Consider putting computer away. Reconsider....

.... cue tard grin.

Just look at her!

*photo by Amber

We took a little tractor ride out to the orchard. The driver calls out the different kinds of apples as you pass and then you tuck and roll when you hear the kind you want to pick.

We opted for Gala... or Fuji? Leah was gleeful and greedy, dutifully gathering up her loot.

They carved and painted faces into some of the trees at this place and each time Leah would reach to pluck an apple, this ogre would slap her little hand away. Don't think for one second Mama didn't whip out her trusty pocket knife and hack that limb right off. Normally I don't resort to violence, but I had to make an example out of him.
Seriously though, how disturbing were these abusive apple trees from the Wizard of Oz? I will burst into tears right now.

Luckily, Leah was left unscathed.

In other news...

Lately, she loves to watch Backyardigans... under very specific conditions. She starts witching around if I try to start the show before she has settled into her "go to" position on the lambskin rug that sits directly in front of the TV. She also requires not one, but two pillows. Whenever I try to prop her up on one, she inevitably gets so excited by the splendor she is beholding on the screen that she rolls off... which all but ruins her entire Backyardigans experience.

Notice the hand up the sleeve in this one. She does this as a friendlier version of an old self-pinching habit some of you may remember from this post.

I thought this was a good one to end on. This is her, "clearly you have no clue what you are talking about and therefore I must patronize you" face. I laugh out loud every time she does it. She generally tops it off with a little pat to the forehead

She makes me very happy, my little turkey sub.

Wait, what? What's that you say? Why isn't Sam in any of these pictures? Oh, he's been loving life doing this:

Poor guy. We miss him.

10 comments:

Jill Wilson said...

Oh really! So you were in Indiana. I am going to have to take a moment for myself to consider this bit of information and get back to you. Not okay, not okay at all mam!! JK!! It looks like so much fun!! I have never been to a "you-pick" orchard. Fun! Those pics were extremely nice!! Love ya!

Amber said...

Okay, hives= brilliant.
Turkey sub = morsel of sweetness.
Can she get any cuter? I really don't think so!

Had so much fun at the good old orchard!

Carina said...

I LOVE picture filled posts! Leah is just so dang sweet. I could look at pictures of her all day long. I love our fun memories together!

Nicole said...

Here's why I don't hate your kid-braggy posts:

1. We're pseudo family, us McQuains and Collards.

2. Leah is so stinking adorable that I want to squish her.

3. You are a fabulous writer, and describe events better than "We had a fun day. We picked apples. I love fall! Yay!" which is honestly the kind of stuff that makes me want to poke myself with sharp sticks. Good writing trumps picture overload every time.

4. Not that this was picture overload, because your family it hot, which means you are pleasant to look at for extended periods of time and from all angles.

Amen.

Tiffany Wilson said...

Okay, I think I need to see a photo comparison between you and Leah at her age. Because that last photo is so reminiscent of the Baby Nessa whom I was totally in love with when we were all back in VA. You, also, were super adorable and squishable.

Jeff and Michelle Galovan said...

She really is soooo adorable!! I love her hair!! Wish I could meet that little slice of heaven!!

sarawhat said...

I am dying over her cute little boots and her even cuter little face! Her pony tails on top of her head crack me up too. I feel like you can look at her in any picture and just TELL that she has a fiery little personality.
ps- the "word verification" at the bottom here is telling me to type "shutablo". Which I think means shut up in spanish. haha.

Kent said...

I feel like the warning at the top of the post was specifically for me. However, your family falls in my very specific list of "child posts that don't make me want to pull my intestines out with a sewing needle". Also, as has been mentioned in other comments, you are a good writer, so that trumps all. That's enough ego-stroking for now, I should think.

Mimi said...

Hives...I love it! Genius! I don't know of a single living person who wouldn't smile at a post filled with Leah pictures. Her cheeks are just so edible! That was a perfect day. And I love that you described the experience of trying to create a blog post with a toddler -- I think every mom knows exactly what you mean by 'tard smile' and has played fetch with their kid to get free hands for a few seconds. Maybe by the time the kids move out our husbands won't be so busy.

Unknown said...

So my study breaks usually consist of catching up with the fam through their blogs...I can't wait to squeeze the turkey sub! Although that would probably scare her and she would never want to visit her scary uncle Abe again. What a little beauty she is. We can't wait to see you guys.