Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Lesson in Self-Awareness... and some other stuff

Whenever I make eye contact with someone on the street/hall/whatever, I always make a point to smile. Not like a big toothy grin or anything, more like one of those slight, closed mouth, minimal effort smiles. You know, the "stranger smile." This particular point has been a source of some stress and annoyance because I rarely get a smile back. More often than not, my little gesture of camaraderie is met with a hurried glance to the ground. I've attributed this discrepancy to my Idahoan upbringing starkly contrasting the guarded streets of the big cities that have been my home these last few years. Recently however, my sister snapped this little jewel, and I was faced with a startling reality...

Turns out my "stranger smile" looks like this:

Meet Chester McPervy. It's sobering to discover that my making a conscience effort to smile at strangers (something I've secretly always congratulated myself for) was in reality, only seriously creeping them out.

Sam had a "self-awareness" moment like this a few months ago when I happened upon him peeing himself with laughter on the couch... no doubt thinking back on something hilarious and brilliant I had done that day. I just so happened to have my camera in hand and immediately began snapping pictures. He suffered through a small identity crisis and a brief stint in therapy after seeing these...



Of course I think these pictures are completely adorable and am over the moon when Sam laughs... especially if I'm the one making him do so. BUT, have you ever caught an unintentional glimpse in the mirror, or had a picture taken of you mid belly-laugh? It's never anything like you imagined you would look... and it's usually quite terrifying.

I remember when I was in 3rd grade and a group of my friends were swimming at the Aquatic Center, an indoor swimming pool in Idaho Falls. There was one boy I loathed more than anything named Brad Vuccovich. I write his name unabashedly because he knew very well that I hated him. Anyway, after various attempts to dunk him under the water (I was a brute of a 3rd grader and he was a complete pip squeak of a 4th grader and when you're in elementary school it's still okay to practice violent dominion over those smaller than you) we actually started having a real conversation. For some reason, I was explaining to him and showing him all of the different kinds of "smiles" I had in my repertoire. I remember one was "flirty" and one was "cheesy." I don't remember the others. I had never practiced these smiles in the mirror, or differentiated my different kinds of smiles before, but it seemed super interesting at the time and I was sure the feelings I was having on the inside were showing through perfectly on my face.

After our conversation, my feelings of hatred towards Brad had, of course, transformed into feelings of true love. When I got home I was anxious to get to a mirror to check out the different smiles I had showed him... just to make sure I had indeed been as sexy and charming as I thought. I can still picture exactly the ridiculous, chestery, creepy little girl that looked back at me from the mirror when I reenacted my "flirty" smile... hair still slicked straight back from swimming (not a good look for me) with the little bit of my mom's make up I had secretly applied that morning, forming dark smudges beneath my eyes. Come to think of it, it was pretty much the 3rd grade version of my "stranger smile." It was hideous. I had made a complete fool of myself. And making a fool of yourself while trying to be flirty (seductive) is ten times more foolio than any other kind of fool you can make. If that makes sense. At that moment the only obvious choice I had was to start hating Brad again.

I realize this post has gotten off topic... hence the addition of "and some other stuff" to the title. Here's where I attempt to tie it all in. Ahem.

I can't even count the number of experiences I've had like the one I had with Brad, or the discovery of the "stranger smile." Not over the top humiliation (those I'll save for another post) but just times where I was completely lacking in self-awareness. I wish that I could go back and talk to my teenage, or pubescent, or pre-pubescent self and tell me not to worry, and that I wouldn't even remember the times I made a spectacle of myself... and to take comfort in knowing that the adult version of me is super confident and graceful and pretty much awesome in general. But I can't. Because the truth is, I still get a wave of embarrassment down the back of my neck when I think back on my "flirty" smile from 3rd grade. And I still make a big fat fool of myself on the regular.

13 comments:

Em said...

AHHHHHHH so refreshing I love your post's one day promise to turn these into a book!!! I miss seeing your "friendly" smile...lol Huggs to you all oxoxoxo

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

It wasn't until after high school that I realized I was cursed with the "Broadbent grin" (Sam probably knows about it) which, translated is my natural relaxed face looked like a scowl. Finally it clicked, all those people who thought I was snobby or stuck-up in high school, all my bosses who were constantly telling me to smile (which is SO annoying) and many other times when people misread me. It kind of sucks to just be in a normal mood and have people judging you. But on the other hand, my 'stranger' smile is probably not much happier looking than my Broadbent grin.

ShaLyse Walker said...

I love that u used brad's real name. So funny. I yuved this post!!!

Carina said...

That is just awesome! I have so much to learn from you. I definitely don't think that your smile is creepy. It is definitely sassy. I love it!

The DeGraffs said...

is it strange that immediately after reading this post i was overwhelmed with curiosity as i tried picturing what Brad Vuccovich looked like? so, naturally, i hurried on to facebook, searched for brad vucovich, could only find one spelled with one "C", and was crushed to see that he not only didnt have a profile pic, it didnt even give his hometown...so i requested him...wierd? no. cool spy? yes...

Amber said...

You consistently brighten my day with your clever musings. Creepy smile or not.. you're still one hot momma.

Mimi said...

Oh man...I am still laughing about Chester McPervy! That is the best name ever. I TOTALLY know what you mean about embarrassing faces that definitely do NOT reflect how you feel on the inside. I have plenty of pictures that have been burned, trashed, or permanently deleted immediately upon realizing what a geek I look like.

You, on the other hand, don't look anything like that creeper picture in real life. Pictures aren't always the best representations of reality. That's why I save the rare good ones that make me look way cuter than the mirror and trash the ones from grossville. You have an amazing smile!

Unknown said...

I had the same experiences with Brad...then it made me happy to learn he's in the slammer.

You have a charming smile my dear.

sarawhat said...

Your blog is one of the few....nay....possibly the ONLY blog that I sit here and laugh out loud at when I read it. My husband was reading my blog comments the other day and was like, "who is Vanessa?" And I was like, "she's married to this guy Sam that I used to hang out before I moved to Hawaii." then he's all "Have you ever met her?" I didn't really know how to answer his question. I finally said, "well we've never MET, but I'm pretty sure if we did...we would be best friends." Then I got the girls-are-so-lame-and-you-might-be-a-little-crazy look. But I just love reading your blog and I think it's always so funny and witty and well worded. So props from me to you.

Meradith said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe Broch added some unknown Brad Vucovich to his facebook account. Hilarious. And you were right, Challis' comment did not disappoint. hahaha. She never lets me down. Oh Nessa! I love that Chester McPervy face of yours! It used to get us plenty of cat calls and whistles EVERYWHERE we went. Too bad we live so far apart, I'd still like to go out into public with you and enjoy those cat calls. Or children sceaming, always was one of the two wasn't it.

Kent said...

I'm always the last one to post, so nobody ever gets to read my comments, so why bother? Well, I'll tell you why: You can't put your candle under a bushel.

Snide remarks:

1. Brad Vuccovich sounds like a villain's name. His parents should've changed their last name to something less evil, like "Hansen".

2. Every picture of Sam he's wearing only G's. Does he even bother putting on a shirt when he goes to school, or does he just go in his G top?

Sorry, only 2 for this post.

Courtney said...

Haha... Kent's comments. Brad Vuccovich... seriously. He IS a villain.

This may very well be your best post yet.

Gauged by the number of times I've attempted to stifle my laughter in fear of waking the sleeping hub.



And good gracious is your Leah ever beautiful. Lovely. Lovely. Not that I'm at all surprised.

Melanie said...

First, Kent makes the same face Sam does when he's laughing really hard. Although he didn't appreciate my observation when he had just said, "Sam looks like such an idiot in those pictures."

Second, I am also one who likes to give a friendly smile to anyone who makes eye contact with me. Sometimes it's to prove to myself and everyone else that the crazy looking homeless man or drug dealer type just don't scare me. However, one of my co-workers recently told me that I couldn't do that anymore, especially to black people (she's black). She said I was only working on getting myself killed, but I don't know...maybe I should check out my own "friendly smile" first...