Sunday, November 29, 2009

Turkey Day and the Turkey Sub

This year we headed to Erie, PA to visit my brother, Abe, and his family for Thanksgiving. We drove, which was thrilling simply because I got seven straight hours of Sam's undivided attention. And Sam was elated because he got to listen to three months worth of my thoughts, feelings and musings about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. He was so grateful.

This trip was especially joyous because, with Abe attending medical school in Erie, and our residing in San Francisco for several years, our time together has been sparse. His munchkins have eluded my pummeling for far too long...

My niece, McKinley, is a brilliant, unique little girl with some of the best dance moves I've ever seen. You know those exquisite little adult-children who are all wise and thoughtful like the little girl on Matilda? She's one of those. And she didn't leave Leah's side for the entire trip.

After our Thanksgiving dinner we had the following exchange:

Me: Wasn't that the yummiest dinner ever?
McKinley: Ummm... yes, it was delicious.
Me: Did you have a fun time?
McKinley: Yes I did, but (suddenly looking distressed) I just knew Jaylen and Daeken (my cousin's little boys who ate with us) were going to distract me!
Me: Distract you from what?
McKinley: From spending enough time with you!

Of course I got all puffed up with pride and adoration and immediately asked her if I was her favorite aunty. I had to strike while the iron was hot. We'll just say, for the sake of this blog, that her answer wasn't a confused look and a slow head shake, but more of a resounding "YES! OF COURSE YOU ARE!"

Don't even get me started on this tasty morsel, Calum:

The kids were already asleep when we arrived Wednesday night and Abe and Tiff set us up in THEIR bedroom. Seriously, does anything makes you feel more sheepish than overtaking the master bedroom? I don't think so. Anyway, I wasn't surprised when I heard humming and felt little fingers running through my hair in the morning. Calum, who clearly thought I was his mom, had popped in to say good morning. When Abe came in to tell him to go downstairs, he looked from Abe to Sam and me in utter confusion and horror. I looked up just in time to see a tiny, butt-naked frame scamper out of the room and down the stairs at lightning speed.


You'll notice Tiffany and baby Ethan aren't in any of these pictures. Nursing babies don't allow many appropriate photo opportunities for their mothers. And that's exactly what she was doing during our little jaunt to the lake.

Look at that face! Pure Calvin and Hobbes smile. Ooooh I love it.

Abe and Sam sharing a pensive (romantic) moment...

McKinley demonstrating an effective choke hold.


Leah demonstrating an especially effective form of seduction. Precisely how her father first got me to go out with him.

Speaking of seduction, Sam with a beard=cat nip for Vanessa. Whenever he has one I get all frisky and purry and try to rub my face all over his. Just thought I'd share.

Leah in a drunken state of jubilation at this excellent little children's science center/museum we visited.

This is how Sam had to spend the majority of the trip. No, I'm not bitter. Why the crap would you ask that?

Saturday night Tiff, McKinley and I ventured to a ward Christmas concert for a little girl's night out. We randomly ran into a kid I went to high school with and when he introduced me to his wife, I excitedly said, "Oh hi! Me and your husband went to HS together!" Her response, "Yeah, I know, me and YOU went to high school together too." I still have no clue who she is, but I just love being a part of those awkward, feel-good moments.

On Sunday we grudgingly packed up and said our goodbyes. We took our time driving home and made several stops, including the Kirtland temple:


We were bummed that it wasn't open for tours but still such a cool place to visit from our Church history.

Leah was so excited when we finally got home that she immediately gathered up her favorite loot from around the house and settled in on her rug for a little tube. We're so proud.

Thanks to Abe and Tiff and Co. for such a splendid trip. Now.... the countdown to Christmas!

4 comments:

Carina said...

Vanessa, I can't even tell you how much I missed you! 5 days without Vanessa is like 5 days without chocolate...SERIOUSLY! Can it get much worse than that?

I am glad that you guys had a great time seeing your bro and family. It looks like you guys packed it all in in such a short period of time.

And I must say that I am TOTALLY impressed that you are already posting about your weekend. Way to stay on top of things!

Nicole said...

Spanks for the pics of the Collards -- you know how they are, and some of us LESS FAVORITE aunties miss them too.

Seriously, you crack me up. I smirk and make small exhaling noises out my nose when I read your blog because I find it humorous. Delightfully so, actually.

Carry on.

Courtney said...

OOOOOOH... ditto to the above statement.

And let me add that I do think I can see a family resemblance between Leah and Cal just a lil bit. No?

Also, so glad you got to go to "Tall TOWER" and the Lake.

And yes, what might be worse than kicking Abe and Tiff out of their master bedroom? Kicking them out (per their demands) when she's 9 months pregnant. HONESTLY!

P.S. Do reveal who it was you ran into. Perked my curiosity a bit.

Amber said...

So glad your vacation was so fun! We missed you here in HP.

Happy Thanksgiving.