Sunday, November 15, 2009

Golden Gargoyles

I know, I know. I've been in a blogging frenzy lately. Just love me.

Now...

A major time-suck while getting an MBA is team-building and social networking. At the start of the year, the incoming students were separated into groups called cohorts and sent off into the wilderness for a few days of ropes courses, trust falls, ego stroking, and chest bumping. Each cohort was given the task of making a short film, and Saturday night, we all got together to celebrate and watch at the GOLDEN GARGOYLES... which pretty much means the Oscars for homemade cohort movies.

I don't have much to say about the night aside from that it was RIDICULOUSLY EXHILARATING. Can I just say there's no feeling like dancing in a club-like setting with your hot hub, great friends, and 200 drunken (yet respectable) foolios, after 4 years of marriage and 1.5 years of motherhood?! I mean seriously, there was so much love and unabashed congratulating in that room I thought I might fly away. Not to mention the theme was the 90s, so the music alone was enough to make me high as a kite.

We all flooded the nearest thrift store for our duds and I must say, I think we pulled it off quite nicely. Sam rocked this hard-to-explain-yet-painfully-90s ensemble:

I went for a 90s grunge look:

Our "Crew" (minus Matt and Mimi): Mark and Amber, Carina and Lincoln, Diane and Dan, and of course, Sam and moi.

Please don't ask why I thought it was a good idea to bust out that same pose every time the camera flashed. Because I don't have an answer. But I will say that I apologize.

Mark (far left) wins the award for most convincing 90s attire with his tribal tats and clooney cut. I dubbed him "backstreet boy" 90s. His wifey, Amber was "Jesse Spano" 90s, rocking her sweet red blazer.

Dan and Diane went with an "argyle preppy" 90s look, and Linc and Carina rocked "clueless" 90s.

I wish I had more pictures... In fact, I had to steal all these from Carina because I was a lame-o photog that night. I blame Sam. And the dancing.

Sam's cohort was up for "best video" but ended up losing to Mark's cohort. Pshhhhhht. Whatever, Mark. Anyway, this is part of Sam's cohort's movie that was really funny. If you don't recognize it, it's a spoof of the SNL skit with T-Payne, "I'm on a boat." Bare in mind the older gentleman featured is the dean of the business school. So sweet.

Small warning: this video contains several bleeped out curse words. Don't watch if you find this offensive.

Oh yeah... SO SO thankful to Matt and Mimi who tenderized the Turkey Sub while we spent this magical night on the dance floor! We love you. And we owe you five million.

10 comments:

Meradith said...

Oh Nessa! The 90's version of you is so scrumptious! I don't blame that classmate of Sam the least bit for coppin a feel on the dance floor! Not one bit!! I would have done the same. And SAM. That sweater must have been like cat nip to you. Must have really had you in a frenzy. Wish I could have been there!!

Carina said...

So sorry that the pictures I took of you guys didn't turn out better. I am afraid I was just too excited and covered the flash a bit. Sorry bout that!

You seriously surprised us with your authentic 90's grunge look. You looked absolutely fabulous! Sam definitely was stylin with that sweater.

Linc and I have decided that we need to get sitters more often and go clubbin'. We had such a great time we left wanting more.

I can't get the video to work on the youtube clip, but his video rocked!!

Author said...

What a fun time! And I must say, I LOVED your costume - especially the fact that your make up was totally 90's too.

Amber said...

You rock! You are an absolute 90s goddess. Lookin oh so dope in your luscious maroon lipstick.

Good times. And the video rocks. I've been humming it all day!

sarawhat said...

fantastic outfits. That's all I can say. Fantastic. :)

Challis said...

I would bump and grind with you any day of the week Vanessa.

Mimi said...

Hmmm...these Golden Gargoyles posts are making me a wee bit jealous.... I haven't had a chance to get my dance on in quite a while.

So glad you had a good time! Costumes and glow sticks always make parties like this more fun. And in case you are wondering, I've played with the snap bracelet you guys brought home for me like every day since them. Josh thinks it's hilarious.

Kent said...

I wore Sam's outfit just the other day. Not on purpose.

stacy h. said...

you were SO clarie danes in "my so called life"...remember that show?

Meg and Terr said...

Can I just say that every time I read your blog I am completely enthralled...I enter my own little universe where I am laughing louder than necessary when enjoying something by my lonesome and the entire time I have to keep hushing away my husband who wants to know what in the world is so funny. Um, Vanessa is. You make my world a better place. And I loved reading about you and your sis...reminds me and my sisses!