Thursday, December 2, 2010

Over the Moon!

She has arrived!!! Sunday, November, 28th 2010 at 6:27PM, Eve Sophia made her glorious and dramatic debut--pretty much improving conditions around the world for everyone in general. Well, with the exception of her elder sister, who, amidst moments of doting and cooing over our new little bundle, has been feeling quite put out. Cool your jets, Little Leah, you'll soon realize there is nothing in life better than sisters.

I'll start with some pictures. She is perfect and delicious, after all.

She tipped the scales at a whooping 6lbs 7oz. So tiny.

The Turkey Sub asked immediately in her highest, sweetest voice if she could hold baby and I've never witnessed so much cheesy goodness watching her kissing her little sister's head and saying, "oooh, she's so cute!" and touching her face and loving her up a storm.

Tired Dad.

There is nothing quite so excellent and preposterous as these teeny new babes all strapped in to their huge car seats. Getting ready to head home from the hospital.

Now, for those of you who are interested, let's get down to the nitty gritty. I will say, the birth of this little one didn't turn out quite as I had planned. On Sunday morning I started having contractions and labored at home until 3:00PM, when Sam and I left Leah and Grammy at home and headed off to the hospital. To our surprise, upon arriving, I was already dilated to 6 cm. The nurse was like, "What on earth have you been doing to manage your pain?!" My response was obvious, "Well, I'm pretty much awesome."

At that point they checked me in and I immediately started shouting around for an epidural. Those of you who know me, know I don't pretend to be brave or gracious about childbirth. Which is precisely what made this next part so horrifying.

"Alright Vanessa, we've got some bad news, there's someone ahead of you for an epidural so it's going to be a bit. We can give you some intravenous meds to take the edge off in the mean time..."

My contractions were getting unbearable, so I enthusiastically agreed to any kind of relief. My midwife came in to check me before administering the pain killers... to her surprise, I was dilated to 9cm. And then, in what can only be described as the slow-motion voice of Satan, she looked at me and said,

"NOOO MEDICINE FOOOORR YYYOOOOUU!!!!"

Then she threw her head back in maniacal laughter.

At that moment, my world came crashing down around me. I didn't hold back. I shouted "WhaAAAT!?!!" and started objecting and kicking at the nurses and attempting escape.

She grabbed my face, her red eyes burning into mine, and said, "Listen to me, Vanessa! It's too late, it's not safe to take any medicine, you're having this baby right now!"

Now, I know some of you may think I'm being dramatic, but I need to make it clear that the thought of natural childbirth has always been horrifying and preposterous to me. Like, signing up to have your leg amputated without any anesthesia. Or agreeing to get punched in the face everyday. Just for fun. Like, not even a consideration. Ever. I don't care that women have done it since the beginning of time, or that our bodies were made to do it. I literally felt like I was being sentenced to torture. And there was nothing I could do about it. And I was sure my granola midwife had plotted it that way all along.

The next five minutes were so chaotic and ridiculous I can't even think about them without laughing and crying at the same time. I was angry and terrified... and still shouting out futile objections... and the next thing I knew, the table was collapsed and I screamed, "She's cooooming!!!" and then something like, "I think I'm peeing!" and in one push, one EXCRUCIATING push, this lil' Tuna came shooting out. Literally, shooting out. Like, she got air.

And then I heard her sweet little newby cry, and everything was right in the world. I felt immediately overcome with love and endorphins and everything good. And I forgave everyone in the room, thanked them for getting my new little loaf here safely, and apologized for all the names I'd called them... except for my widwife, who I still hate.

BUT, I will say, Eve is the sweetest, most delectable little angel baby and I'd easily go through her delivery 100 times over to get her here. So far, my adjustment to two, with the help of my mama and glorious husby, has been peaceful and lovely.

I can't wait for you to meet her.

23 comments:

Tiffany Wilson said...

Congratulations! And, also, condolences on the natural childbirth thing! That's pretty horrible. I had a similar experience with Ruby, only I got a spinal block at the very last minute--totally worth $700 for 5 minutes of pushing.:) I hope everything continues to go smoothly and wonderfully with your adjustment to 2 kids.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Congrats!!! I love the name Eve. It's pretty amazing that you had a natural childbirth! I labored at home for exactly one hour before I got to a 6 with Lucas, and I thought it was funny that they said that to me, 'what a champ for laboring at home!' Anyway Yay!

Amber said...

She is beautiful and lovely and just perfect. Congrats! CAn't believe you did it with no meds. That is one war story that will go down in the history books.
Hope you are doing well!

Courtney said...

Oh, she is DIVINE!

And you, well, I will need your address to have a custom bronze bust of yourself made and delivered...good gracious, Nessa! You.are.a.rockstar.

I love her name, love her face. Your newborn babes are soooo beautiful!

Enjoy that sweet baby!

Congratulations to all of you!

Challis said...

1) Congratulations!
2) LOVE the name. You, me and Meradith see eye-to-eye when it comes to naming small creatures.
3) Couldn't agree more with the whole epidural thing. Sometimes Josh asks if I plan on being brave one day when I have my own, and I always look at him like he's a dinosaur or something. Why the crap would I be "brave" when I could get a shot and feel really, really "good." WHY?!?!
4) Congratulations. I know I already said it, but I'll say it again because I know you've been through a lot to get to this point.
5) You can keep this baby only if you still update the blog regularly. I know two is a handful, but that's no excuse to neglect your higher duties, such as entertaining me at work. Deal?
6) Congratulations.

Court and Brade said...

ness, congrats!! love her, she is gorgeous, ahhh , a little JEALOUS right now that you have a newborn in your home, there is just nothin' like em!!!! so sweet and special really!!!! LOVE the way you write too... SO descriptive and AHHHH can't believe you did it natural!!! serious, oh my goodness, can't even think about it without tearing up for you. you are AMAZING. enjoy those 2 little beats!! congrats.

Jill Wilson said...

Congratulations you two! She is so so cute! I am so happy for you!

Cabra Forte said...

Go team! Can't wait to meet her. Mimi can't stop gushing. Which is a lot of emotion, even for her.

E B said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! She has got some adorable chub for a little baby. Awesome story!

Carina said...

Oh she is so teeny tiny! I can't wait to meet her. I do have to tell you that I had a dream last night that I went to meet her and she was African American and I was totally confused how she came out that way. Then upon further evaluation, I realized that you and Sam were both African American as well. Hahaha! It was a crazy dream and I've laughed about it all day today.

I'm ready to b-line it to your house right now just to catch a glimpse of her.

Amit Koren said...

Congrats guys! We're proud of you Vanessa. Au Natural, very impressive. Can't wait to meet the tiny angel...

Mel and Nate said...

Yeah! Beautiful!!!! I am so excited for you guys! She is perfect. And I was laughing out loud so hard when I read this. Especially the part about the granola midwife. Congratulations!

mia said...

Vanessa! you are amazing!! congrats, she is so beautiful! what a precious little family you have! i'm glad you posted your blog on facebook so I can stalk you on now. :) xoxo

Purcellville said...

Congrats Vanessa! She is a beauty!!!

Nicole said...

I already said this, but she really is fabulously gorgeous.

AND your birthing story is alarmingly similar to what happened to me with Keaton and my reaction was the same -- I thought I was going to die. Total panic, movie-scene hysterical panic, and then in one push he was out. But weighed like 8 pounds and 2 ounces, so pretty much I'm awesomer than you at delivering babies without meds because I'm sure mine hurt more:)

KIDDING!

(Cue people telling me how horrible I am for even saying that -- go ahead people, I delivered an 8 pounder without meds, your words can't touch meh!)

Wow. Maybe too many Diet Cokes today. Signing off. Smooches.

Elise said...

Natural childbirth is like my WORST FEAR! I am so sorry they didn't give you the epidural in time...I was a 7 when I checked in but luckily still got the epidural. I too would be super mad at the doctors!

But anyway, great story, beautiful baby, adorable name ... CONGRATS!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on Eve! I too did natural childbirth with my first. It sucks, but the recovery was awesome. I'm glad to hear the adjustment is going well!

Steve said...

Congratulations Vanessa and Sam. Must be fun to have natural childbirth thrust upon you. At least it was fast.

Melanie said...

I hate you. Oh, yeah, Congratulations or whatever, but seriously, ONE push? Are you just yanking my chain? We're not even trying for #2 and I'm already getting the shakes thinking what will happen if I don't have "time" for an epidural. If I have to push even half as long as I did with Hendrik I will die, literally. Drop dead.

But ok, CONGRATULATIONS! I am very excited for you, Sam, and Leah to have Eve added to your family. And such a beautiful name! Thanks for not going with something totally weird or too trendy, we have enough of that going on in the world...

The Angell's: It's Complicated said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful!

sarawhat said...

ooooooooh she's delicious. No, really. Everyone SAYS new babys are cute, but they usually just look like aliens. Eve is stunning, in no way alien like. Natural huh? gross. I don't even want to think about it. Go you! I'm really happy for you guys!

Author said...

Laboring without meds - ugh, I feel your pain. Eve is beautiful! And I love her name! Congratulations to you and your family.

Meradith said...

Nessa, you forgot the part when the doctors and nurses were all grabbing onto your limbs and you were kicking and bucking as if they were hauling you off to a loony bin. That was my favorite part of the "over the phone" story. I also love how mean you were to everyone, because natural child birth gives you every right. Like when you told that one nurse her teeth needed bleaching or when you told that other one her purse was the fugliest thing you'd ever seen. Or when you flipped that quarter at the doc and told her, "here- go pay for a rat to gnaw that thing off of your face," about her mole. I also love that all of these things happened at your appointment post labor when Eve needed her bilirubin levels tested and not during actual labor. Funny!

Also, the part when you pushed Eve out (your one push) and screamed "Meradith!!!!"

Your readers are missing out. Bet they wish they could be your sister. So proud of you.

Now. I need to get my hands on that babe. I'm
scheming up a plan.