Sunday, November 21, 2010

12-Year-Old Fraud

Because there is NOTHING going on in my life except a lot of grunting and panting and avoiding reaching for things while I wait for this little chubbily to make an appearance, I offer you this:

When I was 12 years old, my 7th grade english teacher, Mr. Hancock, assigned us the task of compiling an original book of poetry. I was pretty much the teacher's pet poster child in those days, loving nothing more than dazzling my various teachers with my maturity and (perceived) superior intellect. I lived for their praise and played the part beautifully... always going the extra mile, getting chosen for special projects and leadership positions, oozing with flattery and butt-kissing. You know the kind... you may have been one yourself. In which case, I salute you, because only those of us who fell into this category know the hard work and calculated dedication required for that kind of status.

My parents were proud of my accomplishments, but there was always a hint of amusement (or resentment) in their voices when they would recount the praises my teachers would sing come parent-teacher conferences, or the smug congratulations I would give myself upon presenting them with another 100% or straight-A report card. Because the truth of the matter was this; at home, I was a beast.

This Dr. Jeckle/Mr. Hyde charade continued until just after my Sophomore year in High School, when I cooled my jets a little and settled into the joys playing a little hookie can bring, completing my Senior year with a whopping 33% attendance. I had seen the light, and it no longer consisted of the sun shining out of my teachers'.... faces.

Back to my 7th grade poetry assignment. My sister was kind enough to rummage through a box of my old school papers where she found a little gem I wrote in the form of a poem called, "My family's first aid kit." Please note the fraud in the final lines. I made them big and red for you.

My Family's First Aid Kit

My family lives inside a first aid kit.

Dad's the boss, the box
on the outside that holds the whole family together.
Strong and powerful.

Mom tries her hardest, the tube of Neosporin
used to heal and nurture
us kids when we're down or sick.

Jesse is just kind of there, the medium-sized
band aid, very important
but not always as useful when times get tough.

Abe is loving and caring, the ace bandage
that is always willing to wrap one up
in a hug in times of need.

Bethany is important, the hydrogen peroxide,
stinging at times but in the end
is always helpful

Meradith is the tweezers, always
the busy body, poking around this way and that.

And I am the delicate cotton ball, still important
but often forgotten.
As soft and as loving as I can be....


Sigh...

Oh, 12-year-old self,

You were so picked on and misunderstood. And so, so loving, little cotton ball. The way you used to bully your overdevelopedandslightlychubby way around the house until you got what you wanted. And how you were such an opinionated, entitled, little know-it-all. How I wish I could spend a few moments with you to give you all the attention you deserved... to slap you across the face for being such a little, brown-nosing turd.

You're lucky you're so cool now.

Love,
25-year-old self

6 comments:

Challis said...

I'm hanging this on my fridge.

Unknown said...

HAHAHA! I came on to this blog in hopes to see another baby but instead I got this gem and LOVED it. You weren't a beast you were my little cottonball and I LOVED YOU.

Mimi said...

Hahahaha! I am SO glad Leah got a healthy serving of your HAM. I can see her writing this same sort of thing in ten years and you better still be posting then! Such talent. I agree, you're lucky you're so cool now. More posts like this, please!

Carina said...

I love it! What a clever little poem. Whenever I use a fluffy cotton ball, I'll forever think of my Vanessa!

bethany said...

Nessa, oh Nessa...the memories of Mr. Hancock's class. So funny. And I wouldn't classify you so much as a beast, just a little girl, being the youngest of 5, who learned very quickly to be assertive in what she did and didn't want...

For example, remember when your older, wiser 18 year old sister who shall remain nameless decided it was time for you to pluck your eyebrows for the first time? Do you remember this? YOU did not want to, but she thought it was for the best, because they were getting a little unruly (the eyebrows that is). So the chase began...literally...through the house, ending in Mom and Dad's bathroom, where a scuffle/wrestling match ensued and finally older sister said if you didn't let her tweeze, you were going in the shower with your clothes on. And whilst trying to shove little sis in, the all glass shower door broke into several pieces. Hahahaha, yes!!! Older sis and younger sis ran from the bathroom, and look, you, in fact, did not have your eyebrows plucked that day.

Oh Nessa, you were a gem, and your 25 year old self is one of my best friends in the whole world! I yuv yew!

Jill Wilson said...

You seriously need to be a writer!! You are so ridiculously funny and honest! Love it :) Happy Thanksgiving to you all! Love ya!