Friday, December 31, 2010

HALLA!!!-daze!

I'm writing this post under duress. At this very moment Sam and Leah are at Target, skipping down the aisles, hand in hand, tossing loot into that big red basket to their little hearts' desire, and I'm sitting here, looking over my shoulder every five seconds, trembling and terrified, at a tiny sleeping giant who is starting to stir--promising to ruin my little bit of heaven with this blog post of mine. My nerves are shot.

Just look at her--pretending to be all serene and lovely:

Don't let her fool you. One false move and she'll hand you your *expletive* on a platter. And she's not afraid to fight dirty:
Sam's chest is like cat nip to her... she becomes a complete loon. Just look at the crazy in her eyes. It should be noted, there were blood curdling screams emanating from both Eve AND Sam as this picture was taken.

In any case, I'm under contract to get the glamourous Palmer Family Twenty Ten Holiday Extravaganza (said in Bob Barker voice) documented, so I'll selflessly continue pecking away at my computer until Eve awakens and lops off my head.

Ahem!

Thanksgiving this year was a dining fiesta of gargantuan proportions. We celebrated with our fellow business school compadres who I can say, may as well be family. I felt particularly honored to be a part of this meal because we were certain that I would be in the hospital or just recovering from delivery and would miss the grand event. But Eve knows I take my Turkey Day seriously, so she graciously stayed put until I could sufficiently stuff my face.

Just look at this spread:
Muy dilicioso!

Not sure why Sam thought Thanksgiving was an appropriate time to tell Matt he just wanted to be friends. You can just see the contempt on Matt's face. Trying so hard to remain composed. It was awkward for all involved.

Notice the lack of conversing in this photo. Shoveling. Just shoveling.

Matt completed his final rite of passage into manhood as this year's Turkey Master. This exempted him from participating in the post-dinner "feats of strength," where the remaining men were made to prove themselves as manly as him. They failed. Turns out nothing's manlier than a motorized knife.

The men, talking about men things. And feeding the babies.

Leah takes her turkey day feasting seriously. Only the most committed of holiday diners remove their clothing. This allows for maximum unencumbered stomach expansion. She learned this from her father... who was sitting in the buff just out of camera shot.

Thanksgiving was excellent. In fact, sometimes I cry thinking about it. Mostly just because I'm on my post-baby deprivation diet.

On to Christmas!

Extremely uneventful. Just our little family---Oh and the greedy, raging hooch who possessed Leah after she opened all of her holiday bounty. It was super fun listening to her demanding more presents and snapping her fangs at anyone who attempted to touch any of her loot. We called her "Steroid Lyza."

We decided to venture out of our cave and go to Cheesecake Factory for Christmas Eve dinner. Way festive. This is the single, solitary photo that was taken... aside from an unflattering shot of me nursing Eve that Sam took. These two are pretty cute, though. And I believe Sam is about to intervene in a stealth french-fry swipe attempt with a judo chop.

Christmas morning. The only presents that got wrapped and made it under the tree were for Leah. Lots of energy these days, folks!

The aftermath:

After all the paper was cleaned up and the toys were hidden from Steroid Lyza, Leah came back to play and she and Sam engaged in some sophisticated fort building.

And finally the Turkey Sub returned to her regular self... specializing in being cute.

And sexy...
George Costanza anyone? Anyone?

The highlight of the day was Leah and Eve's surprise present to Sam and me:
We had absolutely no idea they had been planning all along to fall asleep at the same time. The little stinkers! So thoughtful. Sam and I went freaking crazy for 20 whole minutes all by ourselves. Best. Gift. Ever.

And finally New Years!

Pretty much consisted of a killer party with friends... that lasted til 7:30PM. Cause we're hard core like that.

Please excuse the poor quality of the pictures. Leah changed a setting on my camera that I can't seem to be able to change back. And it made me less than inspired about picture taking so there are only a few.

Anyway, we're so crazy, even the missionaries come to OUR parties:

There was a pinata:

Topped off with some drawer filling:

Some sleeping:

Great food and great company. It may look innocent, but Lisa's face tells a different story. Complete debauchery, my friends.

Oh, and a New Year's Kiss between Sam and me that was TOO HOT FOR TV! And may or may not have been an afterthought once we got in bed. And Sam may have been asleep already. Creepy?

I'll wrap things up with a rare photo of Lil' Tuna, both awake AND happy. Isn't she lovely?

This Holiday Season was memorable and great. I may have ended up getting a big reality slap in the face, because my plans were a little ambitious for having a newby on hand, but it was wonderful nonetheless. Hope you all had a fab finale to your 2010! Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

Mimi said...

I'm so happy to hear about your holiday festivities!! Sad we missed the party last night. We went to a young adult activity at an arcade with Matt's siblings...with wedding rings and a hugely pregnant belly that I was desperately trying to hide under a big sweater that made me sweat like a prostitute in church. Seriously, that's pretty much exactly how I felt. Awesome. And that was AFTER we attended a little party where the next youngest guests were OLDER THAN MY PARENTS. Yep. We really know how to celebrate. Can't wait to see you in a few days!!

Carina said...

Oooh! I have been dying to know how your holidays in Chicago have been going. I can hardly wait to see you guys again and squish Leah and Eve. We have a lot to catch up on!

Purcellville said...

Oh Vanessa I love reading your posts. You are so creative! You always were though! I am glad you had great holidays with much feasting! Eve is absolutly adorable! You have a beautiful family! Glad to hear your all doing well!!! Take care!!!!!

Author said...

Poor Vanessa, poor, poor Vanessa. As I type my own red-headed, mohawked, little demon is threatening to unleash all of her uncontainable fury upon the world - which, will undoubtedly result in me passed out on the bed in a near death attitude. It gets better, right?

Coming to Utah anytime soon?

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

It's fun getting a glimpse into your life through your blog. Your girls have the cutest little facces ever. I hope Sydney gets a sis someday. Hope things are going well with for you.