Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Post About Mothers Named Nancy Who Gave Birth to Me.

There is no one on earth quite like my mother. Those of you who know her, even just a little bit, know this to be true. She is a unique and special soul. I've tried my whole life to "sum up" my mom. People in my adult life have often asked me, "So what's your mom like?" And my reaction is always the same. I say "well..." a lot. And look up and around at different spots on the ceiling thinking about her, trying to think about what I could possibly say to describe her. And then I laugh a bit, and will usually say something like, "My mom is crazy. But in a good way." And then I stammer around some more and maybe tell a few stories about her. But in the end, there's just really no summing up Nancy Lee Hatch Collard. And those of you who know her, know exactly what I'm talking about.


I will say that I still feel a small tinge of fear every time I have to close my eyes to rinse in the shower. This may or may not be the result of my mom's sheer and utter delight at striking terror into the hearts of her children by holding disturbing halloween masks up and over the top of the shower curtain when we were growing up. There is nothing so shrill as a blood curdling scream echoing between the walls of a shower/tub combo. And nothing so joyous as my mom's laughter directly following.

I've often considered my mom to be a bit of a magician. I remember when she, on a whim, decided she was going to hold a fundraiser for a local food bank when I was in high school. Everyone watched in astonishment as she scurried around, organizing and planning, and two weeks later delivered a benefit concert food drive at the Idaho Falls's Civic Auditorium. She had single handedly rallied up the performers for a two hour set, featuring the Idaho State step team, a popular band from BYU-I and various other local and semi-local music acts. The auditorium was packed and the concert was a major hit.

The crowning jewel of the night was when a local news anchor, who was MCing the night, welcomed my mom out on stage to accept the funds she had raised in the form of a check. My mom made her entrance on stage, with her hands up in the air, raising the roof. And the crowd went wild. And my mom's roof raising got faster and more exaggerated. And they got louder. And she may have gotten her legs involved a little.... and dabbled in a little crowd surfing. *


She has been known to start conversations with complete strangers by asking if she knew them in the pre-existence. And becomes unabashedly huffy if she discovers you have altered one of "her" recipes.

She is physically incapable of not lifting her hand up in a last minute peace sign or wave directly as her picture is taken. Which always results in her little hand appearing as a blurry smudge. In every picture.

She has single-handedly kept Deseret Industries in business. I receive no less than three calls a week asking me to look up this or that artist's name. Always looking for hidden treasures among the thrift.

She became a dedicated stage-mommy when I, at the age of 12, insisted I was to be the next Britney Spears. With my mom behind us, my sister and I performed together as a duo called, "Double Platinum." My mom styled us in sweet gear that included matching velvet sweater/skirt combos, and scored us a gig as the opening act for Def Leopard at the Eastern Idaho State Fair. We officially quit the music biz after that performance. We figured there was really no where to go from there, but down.

Double Platinum rest in peace.

I have heard my mom claim on several occasions that she is, indeed, a masseuse. The truth is, she just has a freakishly strong hand grip and can subsequently massage you and any one else's back or feet or whatever without tiring. Ever.

I remember being on the court playing volleyball in eighth grade and double-taking the bench, where I beheld my mom massaging my coach's shoulders.... my coach's head rolled back in ecstasy, paying no attention whatsoever to the game we were playing. As I continued to play, I witnessed my mom proceed to scoot down the line, from coach to assistant coach to player, until every last person on the bench had received a good rub down. I observed this exact same scene at several of my siblings' sporting events throughout the years.

I could go on and on about funny, quirky or slightly odd stories about my dear, sweet marme. But all of those things just make her fun(ny) to be around. The truth is, she is the best woman I have ever known. She is a best friend to everyone. She is the greatest mom I could have hoped for myself and the greatest Grammy I could ever hope for my children. She gave me my "little, beady" eyes, my round face, and my wide ribcage. I hope she gave me her magical genetic wrinkle repellant. She single-handedly blessed every one of her children WITHOUT the need for braces (really, with no help from my dad... who we affectionately call "Captain Snaggle-Tooth.")

She taught me what it means to be a true friend, and any of my natural inclinations in that regard come directly from her. She is a leader, a teacher, and shining example of our Savior. In all of the ways I want to be better, she already is.


I love you so much, Marme. I wish I could be with you on this special day. Happy Mother's Day!

*It's a little fuzzy, but I don't think my mom actually did any crowd surfing at that benefit concert. But she definitely could have. The roof raising did, in fact, happen. Including the leg involvement.

Oh, and I had to include the full body shot of this one... to display my dad's awesome platform boots. So hot right now.

13 comments:

Amber said...

Your mom sounds just as cool as you! : ) It's fun to hear more about your mom and life before Chicago.

Love the tribute. And my, oh my how hot you are in that Double Platnium cover!

Happy Mother's Day!

Sarah said...

Your mom is awesome. She's raised some wonderful, wonderful children. Also, she, in just a few short years, left such an impact on my family that my mother still considers her her best friend. Happy Mother's day - to your mom and to YOU and your new little one on the way.

Mimi said...

I've said it before...I need to meet your mother! Especially after this post! She sounds like a riot!

Oh, and does Double Platinum have a CD? Because if so, I really REALLY need a copy! So hot! I think you and Sam should have a shrine in your entryway (or at least in one of those huge closets) dedicated to your girl bands/boy bands of the past. That way we don't have to wait until you decide to blog about your amazing mother to see pictures like this. Seriously, you have an amazingly talented family!

Jill Wilson said...

That was so sweet!! She really is such a good gee! Love you Aunt Nancy. Happy Mothers Day to both of you. Hope your day was awesome.

Nicole said...

I love your mom so much it's crazy! I laughed all the way through this post because I have heard these things before and witnessed a few of them myself. The first time I met her was when Rylan was 3 months old and we had come from Ohio for Tiff and Abe's wedding. I had to get up and leave the room to nurse or something, and when your mom left a few minutes later, she yelled back to me, "Goodbye Nicole! I think I knew you in the pre-existence because I love you already!"

Your mom is awesome, and I am so excited to go hang with her in IF next month.

Thanks for the laugh:)

Courtney said...

I don't think you could have better described your mom if you'dve tried (that's not a real word).. she is truly wonderful and unique.

Having witnessed many of these events (including the glorious roof-raising) I can't tell you how much I appreciated this post.

And...I do wish she lived in the same zip code so she could teach me her thrifting skills. Cause, seriously, the stuff that woman finds is unbelievable sometimes.

So happy she was the YW President for a time. That was probably the only time I actually attended YW in IF.

What a delightful person your mother is, and truly, she is a mother to all.

Tiffany Wilson said...

Oh I love her so much! I especially love a good Nancy Collard rub down! You did a great job describing her, but yet she is still sort of indescribable. She is so great at being a "fan" and a cheerleader. She will get excited about any venture or idea you have, and then give you even more ideas to improve upon it. She's always made me feel like part of her family, and I have a feeling she can make anyone feel that way!

Purcellville said...

Oh Vanessa! You make me laugh! Your mom is a very neat lady! You are sure lucky to have her! Congrats by the way on the pregnancy! I hope all continues to go well for you guys! Take care!

Meradith said...

Oh Nessa! I had to bust a gut reading this post, there truly is not another human being on the planet like our mother. So funny. At the in-laws house yesterday they were asking about childhood memories of our mothers and I remembered when we were in elementary school (lindon park) and had to walk home from school, and on this particular day there was a huge blizzard that was threatening our lives! Maybe we only had one car at the time and dad had it but I remember mom was waiting there outside school for us with our snow suits and a freaking snow shovel! She had walked down herself to wait for us and walked home with us, clearing the snow and blocking the wind in front of us all along the way. I remember being all teary and thinking, "She really does love us so much!!" and was all emotional as a little girl. She's such a good good girl isn't she.

Except for when I'm nagging Jason and she sticks up for him. Then I have to put her in her place. Or when she tells people I copy her hair cut! When she freaking knows she copies mine!! Ya know what, I'm gonna call her right now and chew her out....

Court and Brade said...

loovveee this post vaness!! LOVE nanc! i got to see her last week, she is seriously a gem and such a crack up.. LOVE her... and LOVE your double platinum picture. ahhh you guys should go back into business!! seriously. :) dying at the pic , love the collard girls. too fun.

bethany said...

Oh My Ness, I can not really type because of my blurry eyes right now...a little teary!

You are right, we have even tried to fully describe mom to each other and she is the one and only! I loved this...mom is such a champion. I really really consider us to be among the luckiest women on earth to have been born to her. And you are so right, she is the absolute most Christ-like person I know too. Oh mommy, soooo lucky to be your daughters.

Carina said...

Love it! You have such a way with words!! I would LOVE to meet your mama. I have heard so many amazing stories and she seems so incredible. I now know where you got your zest for life! You have such a gift and a way with people and it seems you've inherited that trait from your mom.

Happy Mother's Day Vanessa's Mom! Thanks for raising a fabulous daughter!!

ShaLyse Walker said...

Hahahahaha mera's comment on this post (in going to go chew her out right now) ... And this post in general is the greatest!!! I witnessed the roof raising! And that double platinum poster is the hottest ever!!!!!!! Haha loved this almost as much as I love Nancy herself. She is a one and only.