Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Little Bit of Lately... And Oh Happy Day!

Hyde Park in the summer is a magical place. It's amazing what a stark difference the weather makes in this neighborhood. The winter rips through, killing all of the ivy on the buildings and leaves and flowers and turns it into a mangey, desolate wasteland. Saying I was ready to give winter 2009/2010 the boot would be an understatement. I was ready to beat winter 2009/2010 to a bloody pulp, actually. With a rusty mallet. Laced with anthrax. And smallpox.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that we've been having loads o' fun since it warmed up here. And I've been feeling happy as a clam and quite rejuvenated.

First off, I have to give a shout out to my lovely husband who got me this beauty of the Mount Timpanogos temple, where we were married, for my birthday:


My sister has a similar painting of the Salt Lake temple that I have been coveting for some time so Sam really came through big time! The picture doesn't even do this baby justice. And it's HUGE! Like 4 feet across. And every time I look at it I get all giddy and swooney. And I love it. And I love Sam. And I love all of you.

We had a little joint birthday party to celebrate all of the summer birthdays that we're going to miss out on while away for summer internships. It turned out to be quite the fiesta.

Turns out Matt and Mimi are baking ninjas and showed up with this mind-blowing Mario Bros cake in tow. They just threw it together before the party. No big deal.



Sam loves to have his picture taken.

Paparazzi

I would have to say the highlight of the night for me was Leah's fascination with the boys' football game. I couldn't keep her away.

Setting up the play...

Clothes-lining Matt... completing the play.

Walking it off...

Just look how gleeful these boys are. They really love to play together. And it was so cute how they would hug hug hug and give a niiice tushy squeeze after each play... just to show there was no hard feelings.

Wiped out after a day of partying... she didn't quite make it through her book.

Leah doing a little meditation at the beach... channeling her inner dolphin spirit...

Then the freezing water ascended and sent her scrambling. Little did we know she was merely transforming that handful of sand into a delicious dorito...


Leah and "Cookie" (Leah's version of Brooklyn) soaking up some rays...

A few teenage boys made this little "sand city" and the munchkins were occupied for hours stomping around wrecking all of their labors.
*Thanks to Carina for most of these excellent pics! (Amber, we missed you!)

Somebody thought she was better than the sun and too cool for sunscreen even though her pasty skin hasn't been exposed for any significant amount of time for a good 3 years. I'm seriously an idiot. I feel like I have to learn this lesson at the start of every summer.

Leah has been climbing up on me all morning, under the guise of wanting to snuggle, and then full on slapping my sunburn and saying "Owie! Owie!" like it's hurting her. I think she may be possessed. She's nearly been punted out the window several times.

This was the only "appropriate" crispy-skin picture Sam gave me permission to post. But you can view the others at www.nudie-sunburns.com.

Just kidding. That's not a real site. Just something I made up just now. But I did embed a tracker on it to see which of you actually tried to click on it.

Just kidding again.

And finally... one of the perks of living in Hyde Park is our somewhat unorthodox sacrament meetings. Our bishop really caters to the local crowd, which results in rather lively musical numbers, unlike what you'd find in your typical, more reverent LDS services.

That being said, this last Sunday our ward choir sang "Oh, Happy Day" and I was delighted (terrified) to be the song's soloist. Don't think for one second I wasn't pretending I was singing in the finale of American Idol the whole time. Cause I was. Which is why I rushed the mic right afterward and starting shouting "thank yous!" and "I love yous!" and blowing kisses and crying. And, while I debated posting this clip at all (feeling a little sheepish, and a lot heffer-ish for doing so) I decided to throw caution to the wind and be brave.

Thanks so much to Carina and Lincoln for recording this on the down low (hence there being no picture, just sound.)

Oh, and listen closely at about 2 min 10 seconds. You'll hear a spirited fellow choir member bust out, "Sing it! Sing it! Sing it!" It was definitely the high point of the song.

15 comments:

E B said...

So that's who left the huge 'cultural center' art box in the trash room! It was a subject of conversation at Stitch'n'chat. That is exciting. Yup, you gotta love Chicago summers (too bad you'll miss most of it) and Happy Day was wonderful, thanks for singing it for us!

Carina said...

Oh the picture is gorgeous!! I can't wait to see it hung up in your apt. You definitely could have rocked American Idol with this "Oh Happy Day" concert. It was a proud friend moment for me when I saw you up there swaying and singing to this happy song. I just HAD to have my own copy of this! You have an AMAZING voice and I just can't get enough of it!

Jill Wilson said...

This post delighted our family in a number of ways this morning. First of all I am sitting on the couch with my two boys playing Super Mario Galaxy so the picture of the Mario cake nearly made Caleb fudge his pants. Second of all, Q was reading right along with me and we had a nice chuckle over Leah channeling her inner dolphin spirit. And lastly, when I played the video we all had a good family sing along right with ya. Oh my gosh!! I have never heard you sing before. I have heard all the rumors- and I believed them too- I was so happy to finally get to hear some of that action. So good missy!! If I could sing like that I would be requesting/offering up my special services at each and every sacrament meeting!!

Glad to hear you are doing great!! How is that beh-beh doing? When do you find out if its a B or G? Love ya!!

Jeff and Michelle Galovan said...

thats awesome you got to sing that at church! I wish I was in your ward!! And your voice is AMAZING!!! YOU sooo talented!!!!! and congrats on being pregnant!!! I'm due dec. 14th so were really close!

Mimi said...

It really has been awesome to remember why I decided to love Chicago in the first place. This weather has been unbeatable!!!

And that sunburn...I'm feeling your pain. Literally. Remember how I forgot to put anything on my back until right before we packed up to go home? Yeah...it's miserable. I feel like I'm on fire! It made for an excellent night's sleep. Not.(Just don't tell Leah. I don't want her hurting her hand on MY sunburn, too.)

Again, you were amazing in "Oh Happy Day"!! I just played it for my mom and she thought it was a joke. She was so shocked that we sang such an irreverent song in church. :) Silly mom. That's how we do things in Hyde Park.

Snowfam said...

Vanessa,
This is Cheri Snow (Matt's lurking mom) and I was there the first Sunday your choir practiced the song--WOW what a finished product!!! I truly wish I could have been there to enjoy the performance. You have real talent...need an agent?

Challis said...

I like to think that Jesus was up in heaven, swaying back and forth and clapping to your song.

sarawhat said...

Love the pictures. LOVE the song. I fully support soul singing in church. And if I remember correctly, Sam had a pretty good too. I'm getty gooey, happy feelings picturing you two singing together in church. Awwww.

Seriously, loved the song. You have an AMAZING voice. Funny great writing, beautiful girl, amazing voice, some people get all the luck....

Amber said...

Hooray for the Bischoff's recording Oh Happy Day! You've got some serious skills. I just wanted it to keep going and going.

And let's talk about that little sunburn of yours. OUchh! It just wouldn't be summer until you get the first summer burn. Congrats. You officially ushered in summer. : ) Leah and her dolphin spirit made me laugh out loud. I love the little sand on her bum. Seriously, I want to keep her.

bethany said...

Alright sister...this post leaves me almost without words...but here is my overall word... LOVE LOVE LOVE! I can not take this! Awesome temple pic, awesome mario bro cake, awesome little lee...please don't keep her away from me too much longer. I can not handle how she is such a little lady now, and not my rolly poley baby. And I am secretly way jealous of Carina and Mimi and Amber for getting to see her way more than me:( AND...I have to say I can not get over that song Nessa...I love it. I love it that someone finally was gutsy enough to approve it...I love it that you had a choir singing praises in the background...and I absolutely love your glorious voice. Okay, I am way beyond being a proud sissy. I love you Nessa, please end of June, come faster.

Danarae and Joshua Macey said...

OOOOHHHHHHH prego friend!!! are you really coming to pheonix end of june?!?!?! I hope what bethany is saying is true!!! I would love to sneak a little lunch time away with you or have you all come here and pool party bbq in our back yard?!?!?! it's only an hour and a half drive and my hefty 6 month uncomfortable butt will drive it just for you my long lost friend!!! i miss and wanna see you so badly!!!! please update me!! just not on my phone. either on facebook if you can or my email. i check those more than this :p I'm a lazy blogger.....sorry! xoxo take good care!! ps. how far along are you right now?

Danarae and Joshua Macey said...

ps. I would love to comment on the song but my computer is not having it right now :( I can't hear it. josh says it probably the linux that is messing it up. so i'll have to have him fix it for me :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful voice Nessa. I love this post your daughter is just too much I love her little face so much. Your post's are so freaking funny and I am so happy you and your hubby are pregnant...I love you so much!

~Mike & Mackenzie said...

Loved the pictures and songs! I always look at the pictures and watch the videos before I read the posts. I just need pre picture walks:-) What a beautiful voice you have!! I'm glad you are using your amazing talent to praise Jesus! You're amazingness keeps getting better and better!!

My family absolutely LOVES the word reverent! We use the word "reverent" to describe a whole bunch of things ... especially when Zack does his own hair. He loves "reverent" hair styles (unlike his mother who likes mohawks and messy spikes)!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, so many things to mention....You can sing?! No, I mean, dang, you can sing!!! I had no idea and you are amazing. Second, I am quite impressed by the crispified shoulders that we got to view...and yes I was one of the perverts who tried to click on the link in curious hopes and seeing more of the pregnant bod. :) Lastly, where will you guys move next and when?