Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Marbles. I've lost my marbles.

Me:
Minus the curlers, apron, and rolling pin. Because there's been no baking and certainly no hairstyling in my house lately. Oh, also add a few pounds. And wipe the lipstick off too.... Turns out I've got nothing on this lady.

I've been a complete psycho wife lately. And I can't really say why. I think most of my general sourness is coming from the lack of fun I've been able to have over these past couple months. Right now Sam is so stressed out (he had 19 FIRST round interviews last week and is just scratching the surface of this forsaken process) that he has had not ONE MINUTE of extra time. Oh, and not ONE SMIDGE of personality left over to toss my eager-waiting-for-your-scraps-desperate-little-wife way. More than anything, I think being at the mercy of all these business school/company beyotches has left me feeling a little out of control.

When I was in 4th grade, my friends and I were enjoying one of many outings to Starlite Skating, a roller skating rink in my home town. Starlite Skating was THE place to be in elementary school... except it was the most delapitated, mangey skating rink imaginable. Complete with old, broken furniture and old record players stored under sheets at one end of the rink. Anyway, we all squealed and high-fived when the skating rink DJ (how can I land m'sef that job) announced it was time for a "girls only" skate. The girls only skate brought me great pleasure... second only to the "snowball" skate where boys lined up on one side of the rink and skated over to take the hand of the girl they wanted to skate with until they were told to switch partners... For some reason, I always thought I looked extra desirable under the illumination of that snowball disco ball.

Anyway, the "girls only" skate was particularly invigorating because all the boys would have to leave the floor and hold their hands out for you to slap as you skated by. It was expected that you emphasize the smack of the hand of the boy you wished to seduce for the evening (locking in the first skate of the snowball) and that night I had set my sights on a boy just over a foot shorter than me, named *Taylor.

I remember it in slow motion... sailing around the curve of the rink past the furniture storage as I approached the line of boys. Hair blowing. The sound of my baggy jeans flapping behind me. I zoned in on Taylor's hand stretched out to me and envisioned the smooth, sexy slap I was going to give it. I wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans and practiced a post-slap wink, just to seal the deal. And then I went for it. And I winked. And instead of slapping, he squeezed my hand for a split second. And it disrupted the flow of my skating. And I lost my balance. And I proceeded to do the try-not-to-biff-arms-flailing-skates-stomping-spaz-out for 15 seconds straight.

Why even try to recover, Vanessa? Why not take a graceful spill and be done with it? Why not turn your fall into an EXTREMELY cool shoot-the-duck skate move? No no, your right, that spastic, near fall, skate stomp recover attempt was better.

And that's exactly how I've been feeling lately. Like I'm in a constant, near-fall, roller skating spaz attack.

My mom always tells me I have to "enjoy the process, not just the arrival." Thanks, mom. I'll remember that. In the mean time, **send some cash, attention, motivation, and happy drugs my way. Thanks.

*Taylor became one of my best friends and his family moved to Utah when we were in 6th grade. We lost touch for 10 years--later reconnecting when I discovered his family lives behind my in-laws in Alpine. During our first conversation as adults, much to my delight, he recounted our little skating incident.
**Mom, I fully recognize I live a charmed life and in no way need to be reminded of how much worse off some people are than me. Merely feeling stinky, and getting over it as I write. No need to alert the troops.




P.S. Is there anything hotter than roller skating?
A rare picture taken of Sam and me the night Leah was conceived:

16 comments:

Mimi said...

Hahahahahahah! Oh. My. Good. Gracious. That is the sexiest roller skating picture I could have ever imagined! I hope hope hope Leah shows this picture to all her friends as soon as she understands what it means to "conceive".

I am very sorry for your awkward funk. We're about to enter that zone next week, to some degree. That story you told hit way too close to home. Down to the details. I think we had the exact same skating rink in Redding, like you and I grew up in parallel universes or something. Excellent job of relating your feelings. I'm so glad Taylor remembered that magical moment in all of its glory.

ShaLyse Walker said...

Your best post yet. So hilarious.

Meradith said...

I LOVED taking this picture for you guys!! It turned out so amazing. I was glad to be there the whole night actually. It was a miracle night of nights. I love how Sam felt so free in front of his new sister-in-law that he ripped his pants right off, even before we were finished with the roller skating photo shoot. We have a special bond, he and I.

I used to fantasize about getting the right boy with me at Starlite Skating. I used to think, "if I could only get him to Starlite."

Carina said...

Oh man!!! I wish I could say that I have no idea what you are even talking about but I can relate all too well!

I left the house for the first time today only because we have NO food in the house. The dishes are piled up and all over the entire kitchen. There is not a single part of the home that is clean or in control including myself. There is absolutely no real excuse for ME not to be on top of things other than I am in the same funk as you and completely unmotivated!

I don't think I can handle this interviewing thing much longer. I am ready to scream!!!!

Amber said...

AMEN! Really, how can this whole interview process even be legal? It shouldn't. In fact I'm calling my local legislature now.

You had me rolling. And yes, roller skating is oh so sexy.

eryn said...

I'm dying laughing right now. And Meradith's comment, when am I going to meet her!? It sucks, just keep telling yourself, 'it's just temporary, it's all a bad dream, when I wake up in 2 years life will be fun again.' YOU CAN DO IT!

Allie said...

ness.... I am peeing my pants right now! I needed a good hard laugh as I am a new mom with a 2 week old baby boy trying to figure out how to balance my new tasks and still be a good wifey... the husband is always at school and it is just crazy!!!!!! I can relate to you for sure and also wanted to inform you that my first kiss was right after a snowball skate at classic skating rink in utah (not many people know that because it is embarassing)I LOVE YOU!!!!

christa said...

Oh. my. Vanessa, you've done it again! I'm dying right now! You took me straight back to good ole starlight skating... I could actually HEAR your baggy pants flapping behind you. It was THE hang out spot in IF, well except for 17th Street of course. Thanks for the laugh!! You are amazing. :)

~Mike & Mackenzie said...

You are too funny! You and Jill gotta get together .. you guys don't live too far from each other. I know the snow makes it difficult but she would love love love to see you and TS:-)

Aunt Virgina was telling stories about TS ... how she steals the show and has such a great performing personality:-) You captured it well on the video clip. I told Meradith that Leah and Lucy remind me of you guys when you were little. So cute!!

Can't wait to see you guys!

Robyn said...

I don't know what to say besides, amen. You put my feelings into words so perfectly. I have about gone crazy. Add all of this cold, winter weather and it's a perfect storm. Bleck. We can do this...

Liesl Shurtliff said...

LOL! Eryn told me I had to read this because we were talking about how I'm not depressed, my life just sucks!

Hang in there! Flail away! We're planning a fondue party. Cheese and chocolate will make it all better.

bethany said...

Well, you were on the phone with me while I read this so no need to tell you my reaction. Pretty much peeing my pants! WHEEZING way worse than dad ever thought of doing....oh sissy, I love that picture of you and Sam...such love and burning desire!

I love you!

Author said...

Dork! You are seriously the biggest one ever! But I always find myself coming to your blog whenever I need a laugh.
I hope you guys are doing well.

Melanie said...

Vanessa, if possible, you are getting funnier. I have nothing else to say, just that you're hilarious and I'm always eager for your next post.

Anonymous said...

Oh vanessa, my mom and i are reading this and crying we are Laughing so hard, love you!

Anonymous said...

This is Katie by the way, on my mom's account!