Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What Dreams May Come...

When I was young, I thought nothing would be more glamorous than living in a big city. People from big cities held a sort of celebrity-esque wonder for me. And they sat waaay up the coolness scale from us country folk. Not to mention all those huge buildings. A good skyline was like, the sexiest thing ever. And I used to fantasize about hailing cabs and stuff.


That being said, when I was twelve I decided I wasn't getting enough attention and thought it would be a good idea to tell all of my friends that our family was moving to, none other than, the Big Apple. This was especially preposterous because, I can assure you, in all of the history of Idaho Falls, Idaho, there has never been a family move to New York City. But, for some reason, this seemed like the ideal place for me and the ideal place for my family and so I went for it. Never mind the fact that saying you're moving actually entails leaving a place... pshhht, details.


It got so out of hand that my best friend, Sarah, and I had a full on bawl fest and "goodbye letter writing ceremony" where we pledged our undying loyalty and bestfriendness to each other. Looking back on it, I'm pretty sure I was some sort of sociopath.


As you can imagine, keeping up the charade sent my life spiraling into a vortex of quaking anxiety. But then, one of my ex-lovers, Scott, talked to my sister about it, and my little house of cards came tumbling down. She, of course, knew nothing about this cross country escapade. Naturally, he wrote me a disdainful note explaining that he thought I was rude for lying and, more pointedly, a huge weirdo.


I sortof avoided Scott after that. And since he was older than me, I felt great relief once he left to high school. And when he added me as a friend on facebook last year I thought for sure he was still thinking about it and I felt all awkward like, for some reason, I needed to bring it up to him. And I was certain he was telling all his family and friends about me. And I just knew he only added me so he could somehow tell Sam he'd made a big mistake marrying me cause I was a liar! See, kids?! See what lying'll do to you!??


Sorry.


Back to my story.

The best part of it all was that I never fessed up. I just sort of pretended it didn't happen. And when people would bring it up, I would just get all shifty-eyed and point and shout, "What's that!?" and then snake some of their french fries and bolt. Eventually people just stopped talking about it...


My infatuation with the big city lasted, albeit less intensely, until college. And then I got married and moved to San Francisco. And that's when I realized that the key component to being enamored with big city life is to, in fact, not live in one.


Suddenly my vision of being all hipster and staring pensively out the windows of quaint little bookstores was violently replaced by the reality of crap like homeless people gettin' all up in my grill and me trying to lug 50lbs of groceries onto stinky buses overflowing with crazies.


But that's neither here nor there. The point of this post is this:


I was a sad little weirdy as a kid.


J/K.


The real point of this post is that Heavenly Father has made me painfully aware that He's not super interested in answering my prayers when I want Him to, but He does always answer them. And He's got a sense of humor, too. Because ever since it became glaringly obvious to me that I am, indeed, not a city girl, I have lived in either San Francisco or Chicago.


And the real, real point of this post is to tell you that in June, we're moving to New York City.


For reals.


12 comments:

Christina said...

Wow! I think you will love it. You just won't want to stay forever...

Elise said...

There are some fantastic things about NYC! I think you will love it, mostly. Do you know where you're going to live?

Carina said...

Haha! Gosh I wish I had known you when you were a little tyke. I'm sure everyone in Idaho will be totally jealous that you've made it to the top!

Challis said...

SHUT UP!!! For real? Is it forever, or just for another internship? I'm so jealous! Even though I had the realization once we moved to Boston that I was not a city slicker either (despite my own childhood spent imagining myself running all Carrie Bradshaw like on busy streets with a Prada bag around my shoulder), I still would love to live in NYC for a while. That is AWESOME!
Also, don't feel bad about the lie thing. I once carried on a year-long lie in the third grade that Macauly Culkin and I were lovers, which involved me writing letters to myself from him, and sending myself gifts. I was able to make several people believe me for a long time, until I went too far and blew my cover (it had to do with a frog pooping on his sandwich or something like that. I have no idea). Anyway, maybe you were wierd, but not as weird as me. Although now you are certainly cooler than me with all your new yorkiness.

Mimi said...

Ha! I was the same way living in Redding. The idea of the city was so big and sexy! (And my nearest "big" city was Sacramento. Talk about a booming metropolis. Not.)

Of course, it takes a special spirit to make up a big moving story like that and actually have a goodbye cry fest with your BFF. I'm impressed! And secretly hoping that you're making it up this time too, because NYC is just too dang far from Michigan. I'm sure you'll find a lot to love about it though. Even if I'm not there. :)

Courtney said...

Nicole is going to poop her pants.

And then make immediate plans to come visit you.

So fun-- really, you will have such an adventure!

Good luck y'all!

Isom Crew said...

Funniest story! I loved it. Good luck in New York! I hope you love it.

Yuri said...

1. congratutions? and how funny we were living in sf at the same time before you took off for chicago - i will be moving to NYC next year myself...
2. i hung out with you when we were 12, i dont' remember this!
3. it's too funny that i know the people you reference... eery

Author said...

AHHHHH! Upper West Side all the way! I'm jealous! Secretly, my life in the suburbs has been looking totally not-glamorous, and has had me dreaming that I lived back in NY, in an apartment with charcter, ordered groceries from FreshDirect, and strolled through Central Park with my kids. Ah, has me sighing even now. Okay, okay, so will you be stopping in Utah before the big move??

AshleyFamily said...

Vanessa,

I hope it doesn't freak you out that I've been reading (and loving) your latest posts though I'm pretty sure we've never met. I'm Kathy Palmer's niece (Kristin's daughter/Sam's sort-of cousin) and my sister Jordan told me I just HAD to read your hilarious blog. Love it.

So, as I was scrolling down though the February Fluff 'n' Fun I was totally taken off guard at seeing Mark - and then Amber - Dowdle in your photos! What a very small (even in the big city) world! We lived in the same apartments starting out as new-marrieds in New Jersey while the husbands commuted in to NYC. I can imagine you have no shortage of fun with them - please tell them hello, if you don't mind?

And good luck in the Big Apple, living out your childhood dreams! What will Sam be doing? Congrats on making it through grad school and all (both you and Sam - been there). And who knows - maybe eventually we'll actually meet!

Alison Ashley

Unknown said...

Very exciting news! Best of luck to you in the Big Apple!

Courtney said...

We're so excited for you guys! I definitely think you need to live downtown by us if you aren't a city girl...we've got the perks of the big city and yet it still feels all neighborhood-y and cozy. You'd love it ;)

Plus Whole Foods is a couple blocks away and they deliver... And if you want to be super lazy you can order all your groceries online and have them magically show up at your door. One of the best parts of NY life :) No stinky buses here!