Monday, February 14, 2011

Sam 1, Vanessa 0

In our house, Valentine's Day is sandwiched between our anniversary and Sam's birthday, so it rarely gets any real attention. Because of this, Sam and I have lived in relative Valentine's Day ease our whole marriage--never bothering to get more than a bit of candy or a card or whatever.

However, last night, on Valentine's Day Eve, as I sat thinking about the coming holiday and how Sam probably hadn't planned much for it, if anything at all, I decided it bugged me. And the only option I had was to criticize him.

I like to do these kinds of "exercises" to make sure Sam doesn't get too comfortable, you see.

Me: So, why do you think we (you) are so lame about Valentine's Day?
Sam: I know, honey, I'm sorry. We should take more time to make it special.

I stewed for a minute. This was all very unsatisfying. He had given the perfect response... meant to instantly neutralize the threatening situation that he, no doubt, sensed was coming.

But I am especially talented at criticizing and was feeling bored, so I soldiered on.

Me: Well, thinking back on it, have you ever done anything special for me on Valentine's Day?
Sam: (Deep breath) I mean, I know I'm not the best gift-giver. It's kinda hard for me for some reason, but I know I've done a few special things.

Look at you, Sam. Being all cute and non-defensive.

Unacceptable.

Me: Name something.
Sam: Starts listing some of the things he's done.
Me: (cutting him off) Come to think of it, have you ever planned anything special for me at all??
Sam: (refusing to engage) A few things. But you're just a lot better than me at those things. I'll work on it, baby.
Me: Well, you just..... (enter list of embellished criticisms)

After a few minutes, I felt satisfied that he recognized my superiority in general and I forgave him and we made up.

**********************

This morning, much to my surprise, I stumbled out of bed to find flowers, chocolates, breakfast on the table, and my favorite hot chocolate (that he'd woken up early and snuck out of the house to get so it'd be piping hot) all waiting for me. Oh, and, he'd gotten Leah a valentine and himself a little something because he knew, with the new baby, I'd probably not gotten out to get him anything and he didn't want me to feel bad.

Sonoffabeach.

4 comments:

Carina said...

Aww...How sweet! Yay for Sam! Glad he put some thought and effort into it. :) He definitely scored points!

ShaLyse Walker said...

This post is the bomb. All culminating in the last word. Oh Sammy!!!

Mimi said...

Hahaha! I love it. Good job, Sam! That was incredibly sweet and sneaky of him, considering your conversation the night before.

Ness, do you think you could backtrack through all your old posts and come up with a cumulative tally of all your Sam vs. Vanessa points through the years? That would be ridiculously entertaining to read about. I love how you keep score! :)

Author said...

Hahaha! Hate it when that happens. Vanessa I'm pretty sure you could be my twin. It seems my drama is always being undone by a husband who is just too sneaky for his own good.

What's the favorite hot chocolate? Mine's Peppermint from Starbucks.