Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Just a little something....

Because of my desperate need to send my last two posts further down the screen, and because I have nothing new of note to blog about, I'd like to share with you a little "Sam and Vanessa are meant to be" moment that should have been documented long ago. Now, I wouldn't necessarily say this story shines a flattering light on my dear, sweet husband... but he's in Boston right now, dutifully snoozing away. And I'm wide awake in Utah, all alone, and feeling feisty. So here we go.

Sam and I were about to be engaged when we had this sweet conversation:

Me: Baby, if I were an animal, what kind of animal would I be?
Sam: Hmmmm... I'm not sure, what do you think I'd be?
Me (thinking hard about what would most effectively stroke his ego, while still being realistic): Hmmm... you'd probably be a fox. Because you're really smart, and resourceful. And handsome! So you'd definitely be a fox. Or wait, a wolf.. cause they're still clever like a fox but more majestic and serious and powerful.... and dangerous (insert eyebrow shimmy).
Sam (clearly pleased): Really? Hmm...
Me: Yep... so, what would I be?

Brace yourselves. The following response has not been falsified or exaggerated in any way.

Sam (thinking to himself): Hmmmm... I think you'd probably be... a walrus.

..........................

..........................

A WALRUS.

That's right. Savor it. Just let it sink right in.

You'd think this response would have been immediately followed by an upheaval of laughter on his part and a swift charlie horse delivery on mine. But it wasn't. Instead, Sam just stared at me with the sincerity of an all too-honest child. And said nothing.

His only defense, to this day, is, "what? they're cute. and they make people laugh."

Yes, Sam. That's nice.

Seems about right....

15 comments:

Courtney said...

I think I laughed until I cried when Tiff and Abe first told us this story.

No, I DID laugh until I cried.

The photos add a whole new level of hysteria though.

Best.Story.Ever.

Yuri said...

yeah, this is amazing. speaking of walrus, didn't we used to call mrs. mccoy (AP English senior year) a walrus? ;)

Nicole said...

I'm dying laughing over here, and since it's 9:00 am and i am a zombie until 10:00 at least, that's sayin' something.

And I agree -- the photos are hysterical. Maybe I should blog my "I cannot believe my husband just said that" moment too.

Carina said...

Wow! I love these moments. We have had a few of these in our marriage as well. They sure know how to make us shine sometimes, don't they? I have missed you blogging and I have definitely missed you. I need my Vanessa around to get my daily dose of laughter!

Blake N. Cooper said...

Hilarious :) The side-by-side picture analysis was particularly effective! This is something I could totally see myself (accidentally, but with the intent of truthful flattery) saying to my wife.

Abby said...

hahaha- i can't stop laughing about this. i read this earlier this morning, and am still laughing about it this afternoon! Love it! You sure married a nice guy. ha

Jill Wilson said...

I love it! I had to tell my friend this story over girls lunch this afternoon and we were both cracking up ;)

But I mean lets be honest for a minute-- when you look like you look (ridiculously gorgeous!), Sam can call you a walrus and its no big deal ;)

Jill Wilson said...

PS- I just noticed you have something at the bottom that tracks when people visit your blog!! Now you really know the truth about what I stalker I am of you!!!!! Get that off immediately so I am not shamed by my stalking ways :)

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Wow, he seriously wasn't joking?! Sam astonishes me sometimes. It's a good thing that you are easy going and a jokester yourself otherwise I'm sure a huge grumpy rift would have occurred (maybe it did anyway). How could any woman be happy with that assessment!! Someone called me a mole or something like that once because of my small head, but I think I'd rather take mole over walrus.

ShaLyse Walker said...

Hahahahah this is out of control. Sam will...I repeat...WILL receive a swift kick to his cash and prizes next time I see him for this altercation some 4 years ago. HAHAHAHA
This is like on my 18th birthday we went to disney land (my family) and someone told one of the workers it was my birthday and I told them to guess how old I was and they said 30. THIRTY. I was 18. That's so sad. It was probably my deep love for ruby red lips.

Challis said...

You just made me spit my drink all over the computer. Thanks.

Melissa said...

Totally made my day... Love it. :) Thank you.. ha ha ha!

~Mike & Mackenzie said...

This is the funniest thing I have heard in FOREVER! You are too funny!

Mimi said...

Ahahahaha!!! Oh my gosh, I MISS YOU!

That walrus looks pretty comfortable. I can't say I'd mind living that life for a while.

You and Sam are definitely meant to be if you still dated him after that comment. Best story ever.

bethany said...

My Favorite Vanessa and Sam story...we will NEVER let him forget it. And, when you told us(the sisters) that story...we actually felt a little bad for Sam because we knew what kind of tongue lashing he got. HAHAHAHA...so funny, and lets be real Nessa, you are such an exotic beauty that he really could not compare your looks to anything so he went with the humor. Oh gosh, I laughed outloud again, even though I have heard this story 1,000 times! Love you seeester!