Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Child at Home

I’ve been dreading even trying to put any of this into words. Mostly because I’m exhausted… in every way one can be exhausted. And I’ve been avoiding revisiting the emotions that writing about Jesse’s passing brings to light. I’ve been at peace, and a little numb, since the funeral. And I’ve needed some time to let my sore forehead muscles heal. Who knew your whole forehead feels like it’s bruised when you’ve been crying really, really hard for a long time? I’ve never really had to consider my forehead muscles before. They’re out of shape.

I’ve been staying in Jesse’s room since I’ve been here, snuggling up in his sheets and looking through his things. Today we went through all of his clothes and right now I’m wearing the t-shirt that still smells strongest of him. My mom suggested throwing everything in the wash before we separated it out, and I nearly lost it. I feel panicky at the thought of this smell fading away.

I’ve been in an alternate universe this past week, daydreaming of my life in Chicago… the life I knew before this new one, where I no longer have my big brother. My other life feels like a dream. And it doesn’t help that Sam is there now, taking his finals. I’ve been quite put out by everyone else going about things normally, while life for my family has seemed to come to such an abrupt halt. But this week has been full of tender mercies, and more than anything, I feel overwhelmingly grateful to my Heavenly Father.

Jesse’s funeral was beautiful. I cannot think of those who attended without becoming very emotional. There are no words to convey my gratitude to those of you who have reached out. In all honesty, I have been sitting here for the last 15 minutes trying to think of something I could say to do my feelings justice, and everything I think of seems completely futile. You have been a comfort and an anchor, and your compassion and service has sustained us.

My sisters and I were honored to sing for Jesse on Saturday and these are the lyrics to the song our family chose:

My Shepherd will supply my need
Jehovah is His name.
In pastures fresh He makes me feed
Beside the living stream.

He brings my wand’ring spirit back,
When I forsake His ways.
And leads me for His mercy’s sake
In paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death
Thy presence is my stay.
One word of Thy supporting breath
Drives all my fears away.

Thy hand in sight of all my foes,
Doth still my table spread.
My cup with blessings overflows,
Thine oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God
Attend me all my days.
O may Thy house be my abode,
And all my work be praise.

There would I find a settled rest,
While others go and come.
No more a stranger nor a guest,
But like a child at home.

Nothing brings me more comfort than thinking of Jesse in the arms of the Savior, no more a stranger nor a guest, but like a child at home.

I cannot express the gratitude I feel for my Father in Heaven, who, if we but look to Him, lovingly allows us to find hope and joy through our darkest hours. I’ve never felt so close to my family, and I’ve never felt closer to Him. Our eternal bonds have been tangible this week. How indebted I am to Him for allowing me to be born to my family. How thankful I am to Him for guiding me to Sam and entrusting us with our beautiful little Turkey Sub. How grateful I am for Jesse, and for the time I was given with him here on earth. I know he will be waiting for me, eager to teach me all that he has learned. I miss you, big brother. My heart aches every time I think of your sweet face. I am counting down the days until I get to be with you again, to know you, freed from earthly afflictions, as the man you were meant to be.

9 comments:

Yuri said...

you're such a beautiful soul, vanessa, and even though i had to look you up on facebook because i don't know how to spell vanessa correctly, i too am thankful for your little turkey sub.

xo

Jill Wilson said...

That could not have been a more beautiful post Vanessa. I told Mera last night that I was so excited to hear from you guys. You have not left my thoughts for even a moment. I love you all so very much. My sweet cousins will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I cannot wait to see you.
Love so much!

Jill

Carina said...

What a perfectly tender, heartfelt song that was written and sung. I have a lot of respect for you and your family for pulling together and combining your faith during this difficult time. My heart aches for you. Thanks for your faith and strength!

Unknown said...

That was really beautiful Vanessa. Both you and Meradith have an amazing capacity to put your feelings into words and when I read them I feel like I'm right there with you. I know this will be a rough few weeks/months/years, but know that a lot of people really love you and admire your strength.

Courtney said...

Yes, yes, well said. Very well said.

You haven't left my thoughts, or prayers.

I told Meradith how anxious I am to hear the recording. I know it was amazing-- both because I know your family and because of all the feedback given over the pulpit at the church the next day.

Thank you for trusting us to tend that little cherub of yours. What a delightful little girl you have.

Be gentle with yourself... you've got some hard moments yet to go. I'm cheering for you.

Despite such difficult circumstances it was really good to see you. I'm here if you need ANYTHING. I trust you know that.

Nicole said...

Thank you for writing. As stupid as it may seem, I've had a rough week worrying about you all and not being able to hug anyone. It's hard to know that people you care about are in pain and to feel so helpless. Reading what you and Meradith have written makes me feel a little more connected to all of you, and somehow in my crazy brain I think that by reading maybe I can take on a little of your grief.

I know I barely knew Jesse, but your whole family means so much to me that I ache for all of you.

Keep writing, let yourself feel whatever you need to feel, and know you are being prayed for day in and day out.

Mel and Nate said...

We have been saying lots of prayers for you this past week! Your faith inspires me and so many others. That song is so beautiful and gives the most perfect message. Please let us know if you need anything at all and we miss you!

Sara Thomson said...

ITS A REAL PRIVILEDGE TO BE ABLE TO EXPRESS WORLD WIDE OUR EXPERIENSES, ADVENTURES AND MOST OF ALL OUR FEELINGS. BUT THE GRATEST IS TO LET PEOPLE THAT CARES ABOUT YOU WHATS IN YOUR MIND. LAST NIGHT NANCY TOLD ME ABOUT JESSE,AND I´VE AT HOME WONDERING WHATS IN ALL OF YOU MIND. SUDENLY I JUMP INTO THIS PAGE AND READ YOUR FEELINGS AND BETH´S TOO. VANESSA AND BETH, WE WILL KNOW WHATS ON JESSE SOUL SOME OF THESE DAYS. WE JUST HAVE TO KEEP OUR HEARTS OPEN JUST LIKE, I RECIEVED YOU THOUGTS TROUGH THIS PAGE..WE JUST HAVE TO BELIEVE IT WHITH ALL OUR HEARTS. SOME HOW YOU WILL ALWAYS BE THOSE LITLE CHILDREN A USE TO TAKE CARE OF IN A VERY COLD WINTER..LOVE SARA THOMSON

Regirlfriend said...

Vanessa,

I am so sorry...I know you and I are now sitting with our former roles reversed. I'm spazzing on my keyboard wishing I knew what to write. Ow.

I will say that I had Jed's last 4 clean articles of clothing in a Ziploc freezer bag. He died right after his laundry day, so nothing but our sheets smelled like him.

I'm just so sorry. Sniff away. Lock it up and don't let the smell go.