Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Big Willy

For those of you who filled your drawers when you saw the little teaser picture on my last post, here it is again:

You're welcome for that. Chilling, right? Our first official Chicago tourist destination was a visit to Big Willy... aka the Willis Tower... aka the Sears Tower (rest in peace). Needless to say, it was pretty awesome and provided some sweeping, other-worldly views of the city.


A little family shot out on the skydeck. Notice the glass floors. You need not take this picture lightly....
I say this because what you don't see here is the trembling, icy-handed mess that was my husband seconds before the shot was taken. While his smile is all charmy and convincing, he was suffering from a severe case of what I like to call "terror rage." The symptoms of terror rage manifest themselves in many ways, but generally include extreme irritability, paranoia, heightened reflexes, potty mouth and occasionally, violent flinches or outbursts.

Sam denied having any issues (typical in terror ragers), but his condition became undeniable to me when I, upon pretending to heave my body weight against the outer glass of the skydeck, felt a fist land squarely between my shoulder blades. And, in what can only be described as the voice of Satan, heard the words, "You better. Freaking. Knock. It OFF."

Sam never so much as uses a stern tone with me so it was almost as if he was another person entirely. I secretly kinda liked it. Just sayin'.

Anyway, these hot little numbers are a few of our new found besties here in Chicago who braved Big Willy along with us. Lincoln and Carina with littles, Brooklyn and Carson:

ANNND.... Mimi and Matt (not pictured, their little guy, Joshua):
We're pretty much in love with them already.

I'm hoping documenting all of the cool things there are to do here in Chi-town will prompt some of you to come visit... so be prepared for some tourism advertising, mixed with lots o' pics of the turkey sub to try to entice you.

*photos taken by Lincoln and Carina

7 comments:

Carina said...

Unbelieveable! I can't get over how funny you are! I just wonder what all goes around in that noggin of yours. I sit on pins and needles waiting for the next entertaining post.

Kent said...

Sam has come a long way. In our Teton trek, there was this pass along an icy trail next to a very steep hillside at around 11,000 ft. I was nervous as hell but Sam was the rock. I think I even held on to the back of his pack as we traversed that section. Now he's a wimp?

In other news, DON'T DO THAT! Leaving our post uncommented on purpose. We can't go on without your validation.

Amber said...

Sheesh. That foot photo does give me the jitters.
And the story of Sam.. priceless.

sarawhat said...

really funny Sam story. Nice map, now I have to not check your blog TOO often out of fear of looking too eager to read a new post. hahaha.

Mimi said...

Oooh, "terror rage" sounds like it could be the name of a heavy metal group. When you guys come over to play Rockband with us, that might just have to be our name.

P.S. We love you too! I secretly love getting shout-outs in my friends' blog posts. It makes me feel reeeeallly cool.

Courtney said...

Um, the male-part of American Gothic statue looks enough like Henry B. Eyring to make me giggle.

Also, my stomach got a little bit twisty looking at those pictures. Also, your family looks lovely.

That's all.

Melanie said...

Vanessa you are hilarious. I always laugh hysterically at your posts and Kent always asks what's so funny and then whenever I say, "Vanessa's story about Sam" he responds with, "You girls think you are SO funny." I guess they have to back each other up, but hilarious still.

Hopefully once I pop this baby out (I'm trying to make that sound like it will be a piece of cake) Kent and I can plan a visit to the Windy City - I've never actually been! Even though I picked up a slight accent from my roommate...