Thursday, August 27, 2009

We Just Got Back From South Dakota! Jealous??

We took a little break from the general Utah splendor and headed up to Rapid City, South Dakota to visit Sam's mom for a few days. Amazingly, after 3.5 years of marriage, this was the first time we ventured to make the trip. We spent a glorious few days enjoying free meals, good company, Sam's mom's hot tub, beauteous weather and all the wonders Rapid City has to offer.

We stopped to take this photo because we were completely mesmerized by what appeared to be human faces reflected in the mountain facade. Weird.

Sally (Sam's mom) was the brilliant photog behind this next masterpiece. Before you look, it should be known that after she snapped the shot, the following convo ensued:

Sam: Ah! Mom, you have to tell us when you're gonna take it!
Sally: Oh, I already took it.
Sam: Ok, take another one real quick.
Sally: I already took it (looking at the cam). It looks great.
Sam: Oh ok.

The result....

Let's take a closer look, shall we?
Mmmmm... that's nice.

Surprisingly, South Dakota has a lot of beautiful scenery to offer. The Black Hills are full of lovely spots (and ladies) as seen below.

Leah spent the majority of the trip harassing Max. Luckily he is a very patient and affectionate cat and slept with her every night.

Speaking of cats... I was thrilled to learn that my husband's claim to have "severe cat allergies" has been a sham all along, just as I suspected. When I pointed out to him that he didn't seem to be bothered by the cats at all, he claimed that he only has a reaction when he touches them and then touches his eyes. After hearing this, I did what any well-adjusted, concerned, bound-to-call-her-husband-out-on-his-cat-hating-fraud wife would do and gave one of the cats a thorough rub down. I then proceeded to pretend I spotted something in Sam's eye and lovingly put his allergy claims to the test. Magically, Sam's eyes remained sparkling and clear. Thank heavens, he's cured! When I revealed to him my evil (ingenious) little scheme, he tried to convince me that he had, indeed, been suffering itchy eyes all along... to which I scoffed and threw my head back in maniacal laughter. We'll be getting a kitten as soon as we get to Chicago.

There's nothing I can really say about this shot aside from that I love my daughter... despite her weaknesses.

Brace yourself for the cutest thing you've seen in a while!

That's right--turns out Kathy, Sam's step mom, has had our wedding cake stashed in her deep freeze all these years. We didn't really get the memo that you're supposed to bust it out for the one year anniversary, so we seized the day, scraped off the mystery black film that it had sprouted, and ate it in celebration of 3.625 years of bliss.


On a different note, and in a completely different mood than the rest of this post, on the drive home from SD we stopped at Martin's Cove, a memorial to the early Latter-Day-Saints who crossed the plains with the Willie-Martin Handcart Company after being driven from the church settlement in Nauvoo. If any of you find yourself driving across northern Wyoming, it's definitely worth the stop, even if you aren't a member of our faith. You can read about it here. Even though I had heard the story many times, I was filled with overwhelming gratitude and sorrow as we walked over the hallowed grounds.

It was another great chapter in our book of adventures.
15 days and counting to Chi-Town!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My dad just got back from the Black Hills area and said it was surprisingly beautiful as well. I guess I should make my way there sometime.

Kudos on the evil genious cat plan. You are a wife after my own heart!

Tiffany Wilson said...

I just had to comment on how super hot you are looking these days. It's probably really hard to get anyone to notice you next to that stinkin' adorable, beautiful, downright enchanting little child of yours. So, I just that I'd give you some totally deserved praise--you look thin and gorgeous! And your posts show that you're also incredibly smart and witty--no fair. BTW, cats are stupid.

Courtney said...

As much as I hate my cats (which I really don't hate them), I have to put the plug in for children and pets... our cat is seriously Brinlee's best friend. Leah will be a better rounded child for having had pets... ahahhahaah...

And, you two should win a hot-couple award for that photo...

Actually, the reality is that even a "bad" photo of you guys really isn't bad.

ShaLyse Walker said...

oh my this might be your funniest post yet!!! hahahahahah Nessalyn. I'm pissed youre back in town and i haven't seen you. dallen and i are going to dave mathews tomorrow night but what about getting together thursday (i have to work wed night). are you going to be in idy yet?

Meg and Terr said...

I am always so thoroughly entertained by your blog, which makes it a shame that we still haven't met! Oh though it may not have seemed like it, my parents adored you...don't worry, we are working on mama Erickson :). I really thought I was going to see you that next weekend at church, but it turned out to be the temple dedication and I'm not even sure you were still in town! With that said, I'm jealous of your hot bod, your cute pics, and your amazing youngin'!

The DeGraffs said...

First of all, I, millie, have a day job saving kittens from behind dumpsters, horrible teenagers, and the middle of the road, so I would be more than happy to save one for you! Ive even been know to save some perfectly happy kittens living in loving homes who just happen to wander onto my lawn...its for their own good. Second, I havent had a good belly laugh like I did after seeing your 'Glamour Shots by Deb' picture with Sam in quite some time! Almost caused a premature birth! Third, you seem to be having the same problem with Leah as I do with Broch...tell her to lay off the Dew...it leads to coke addiction. And fourth, Broch says to never do another serious post like that handcart rubbish again! Kills the Vanessablog mood!

Kent said...

As I read your posts, I think of the wittiest comment I can leave. This one I couldn't just limit to one. You can pick your favorite:

1. Please, tell me more about this faith of yours. I feel like there's something missing in my life.

2. If you or someone you love is facing an addiction, there's a program we have in the Church that focuses on the healing power of repentance. Please visit www.lds.org today.

3. I had that same exchange (about the photo) with Susan.

4. Still no mention of me or my wife? Who is this blog about anyway?!?!

5. Why should I post comments on your blog when you've let 2 of mine go by with no comments? Oh, wait, I comment for me, not you.

Isom Crew said...

You crack me up. I love it. Yes I jealous of your trip to South Dakota. I love to go to new places. How fun for you! Looks like it was a great time.

Amber said...

Okay, so first of all, you've been warned..I think I am going to steal that little Leah, because she is so. stinkin. adorable...

Second of all, you are about the most hilarous person I know. Your blog made me laught out loud. Major points in heaven to you!