Thursday, August 6, 2009

Our First Update---I know, I know, Your Day Just Got WAY Better

After spending the first 10 days of our vacation in Idaho Falls at my parent's house I'm feeling very refreshed... and sad to be gone... but grateful to feel like my adult self again. Kinda. Ok, not really. Seriously though... being at the 'rent's house reverts me directly to my 10 year old self. It didn't take long before I found myself yelling, "MOMMMM!?!" no matter where I was in the house, no matter how far in proximity my mom was from me, whenever I needed or wanted anything. Also, to this day, the mere sight of my dad (a man of rather large stature) perched in one of his several overstuffed recliners (thrones, as he calls them... which, come to think of it, is also his name of choice for the toilet. He's gonna get it) provokes an immediate response in me to climb up into his lap and settle in for the long haul. This phenomenon can be quite unsettling when either or both of my sisters are around... often resulting in a violent scuffle for the coveted spot under my dad's arm.

This morning I've been feeling quite put out being a full time mom again. My mom is super Grammy and is thrilled to feed, bathe, change, teach, and play with Leah on a full time basis. Really, who am I to interfere with a Grammy's greatest joys? I humbly sacrifice my own desires and let her. At any rate, when Leah filled her drawers this morning and I realized that I was going to have to change her myself (or recruit Sam) my feathers were more than ruffled.

NOW! On to more stimulating blogging... PICTURES. I've got lots so hold on to your seats ladies and gents....

And it should be mentioned... there are no less than 8,000 pictures of yours truly and company coming up. So only continue if you really, really love me. You know you do.

OH, and one more thing. Because there are so many pics, trying to arrange them in any particular sequence would be pretty much the worst thing ever... so don't be judgy. 

ANNNDDD... just kidding. Here we go!

A couple self-explanatory Mesa Falls pics:



 West Yellowstone IMAX--Go to Yellowstone, watch IMAX film on Alaska. Makes sense. 


What is it about men and fire? Seriously, it's like cat nip. Sam and my dad couldn't even bring themselves to enjoy our little evening "fireside" because they were so insistent on tampering with the flames. Rearranging the wood, adding more wood to the teepee, rearranging again due to excess smoke produced by the flame, adding kindling, rearranging again, etc. etc. My mom and I were so annoyed by the end of the night that we left them out there by themselves to reevaluate a few things. Sure showed them. When we returned, they were both peeing on the fire.... well, not really peeing. But I'm sure one of them suggested it. Then they probably shared a nice awkward moment.



This is my dad's "patronizing my mom" face. Peter Pan stance and all. Sam standing by, taking notes.... practicing the face...

We dubbed him Lord of the Flames after he emerged from the nearby bush with this big stick. Unfortunately we had to strip him of his title when he started practicing unrighteous dominion.




This is what Leah thought of the park...


This was pretty much my best hair day ever. Had I known what I looked like, I wouldn't have been so hasty to hop in front of the cam.
This is what my mom thought of the park...


What could a dear sweet wife have done to warrant such a stinky look from her husband, you ask? Get caught sneaking a bite of his huckleberry ice cream, that's what. 


Don't hate us. Just love us.


This is a rare moment captured on film of a little native boy luring Leah by performing this hypnotic tribal mating dance. Just look at the intensity in his eyes...


Sam's sister, Liz, brother, Seth and Turkey Sub. We randomly ran into them at Yellowstone. No... no we didn't. Seth agreed to allow his appearance on my blog under one condition; that I include that he is the "cute, single bro-in-law." I told him that I'm pretty sure all of my readers are married but this minor detail did not seem to deter him. Watch out ladies!


Sam's dad and stepmom's house in Alpine is pretty much a wonderland--complete with two trampolines, dozens of fruit trees, a swing set and THIS little gem:


Seconds before the geese converged and... goosed me

I have about 30 more pics ready for posting but just had a sudden depletion of love and motivation in terms of this blog, so that's all for now. But don't you worry, there's plenty more where this came from. 

7 comments:

Abby said...

Vanessa- I love your posts. My day DID get better after reading this. well, it's only 9am, but I'm sure it will be an awesome day. Hey, maybe I'll actually have my baby... who knows. Anyway, I laugh out loud at your blog all the time. You're so funny!
Looks like you had a good time w/ fam. Your little girl is so darling.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Did I ever mention that I'm deathly afraid of geese? They just have this thug look in their eye. You shouldn't discredit your writing....pictures of course are great, but you are a hilarious writer!

We just got back from a month-long to Utah and so I'm totally feeling the "I have to take care of my own child??" thing.

The DeGraffs said...

19? I was just getting in a comfortable position while scrolling down the screen when all of a sudden...the pictures were done! why was i scrolling down the screen you ask? because i have the horrible habbit of starting blogs from the bottom. Usually it doesnt matter, but with yours it often ruins that intense lead up to the pictures, which always makes me laugh as i read the lead up after ive already seen the rest,HA! i feel like ive tricked you! Anyway, its the "i would rather know my presents now and ruin the surprise than wait for christmas morning" part of me...sooooo, POST THE PICS! ps, i have a baby picture of me looking exactly like leah...i know, kinda wierd, but very much true!

Challis said...

Ha Ha...I totally regress back to my 10 year old self when I go home too. I fight with my siblings every bit as much, but it's a little scarier since we are all adult-size.
Looking at your Yellowstone pictures made me homesick. I suppose you of all people get what it's like to be a small Idaho girl livin' the city life. Why did we think it would be so cool? WHY?

Courtney said...

Ha ha Ha... ho, ho ho.. .hee hee hee
I will admit I'm totally neglecting changing Brinlee's DVD because I'm laughing and re-reading even though I already saw these pics on FB.

Does that sound too stalker-ish?

Unknown said...

Leah is so cute I love her little pig tails! As for you and bad hair days you are one of the lucky ones! Your sister STILL calls me Fabio any chance she gets!

Kent said...

Hey, did you happen to see Kent and Melanie in Utah? Just wondering.

Also, can you find out if Seth is into gay cousins? Cause I'm down if he is.