Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Lil' Family Outing...

S000... Sam and I ventured to the zoo on Saturday. Not that Leah cared much, the trip was mostly for the two of us. Whenever I go to the zoo I get super hyped up about it and I always end up convincing myself that my last visit was way cooler than it was.  
Anyway, as we meandered from exhibit to exhibit I started musing about my many trips to various zoos across the country and it occurred to me that my experiences have, for the most part, all been very similar... I'd spend 5 hours walking around in the blazing sun only to have every third exhibit displaying a cutesy little sign, written in first person by the animal no less, saying his "home" was "under construction." Then, about half of the ones that weren't under construction didn't have anything in them at all. Of course, there's still a sign telling you all about the exotic animal that supposedly lives in the enclosure, so you and every buffoon in the park stand there for 15 minutes staring blankly, only to walk away with the same conclusion, "well, the animal must be hiding... or maybe sleeping inside." Yeah. Turns out the zoo keepers are all just kicking back behind the one way glass, watching all the tards staring hopefully at the bushes and shrubbery, fanning themselves with the $30 I just dropped to get in. 
Of course, every once in a while you do run across an actual live animal but it's something lame like a gazelle or ostrich that just stands there, frozen in fear because, well, you might be planning on attacking it. Bottom line, at the end of the day all you've seen is the equivalent of an African barn yard... which is pretty much the same as the ones we've got here, except everything has bigger horns and looks all mangy and emaciated. 
After all of that, you may think I hated our trip to the zoo... but you'd be wrong. I actually had a great time with my little family!  Which is why we'll be visiting again next weekend... 

I realized after we got to the zoo that the turkey sub and I were matching. Although I have to say Leah rocked the outfit a little bit better... a little bit.


Sam and Leah... not matching, but nicely coordinated... I love them.


We attempted three times to take a suitable family photo...

Leah was having none of it....
So we gave up....


The very best part of the trip was the petting zoo. Leah was dubbed the "sheep whisperer" by all in attendance. 


You can see me standing close by, minding my own business. What you didn't know is this pic was taken just as that goat was turning to attack me. Stupid one-horned goat. I'll kill you.


We took an impromptu trip to the beach after the zoo. It was a beautiful day, indeed.


Leah thinks she's so cool in her sunglasses. Sam does too, for that matter...


Leah was so enamored with the sand that I couldn't get her to look up at me once for a photo.. regardless of the hulaballoo I was making to get her attention. I felt a little sheepish as I realized I was high pitched screaming her name no more than two feet from her face... to no avail. 


Sam had to hold Leah hostage because every time either of her hands got free she would thrust herself forward, grab a handful of sand and stuff it into her mouth. If you look closely you can see sand remnants around her mouth. What a fatty. Our fun day at the beach was short lived for the sake of her digestive system. 


Just enjoying the view. I didn't get many cute pics because our camera died like five minutes after we got there. I was so bummed. One thing that was left undocumented was a huge dead seal beached about 100 feet away. So gross, yet so fascinating. 


Yay for a day well spent!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nothing better than a beach baby!

Kent said...

2 things:

1. "I realized after we got to the zoo that the turkey sub and I were matching". Yeah, right. I'm just gonna call you "Matchy Mom". Why don't you just all get jean-shirts like in that classic Palmer family picture?

2. That sheep picture was seriously cool, with all the shadows 'n' sitch. Looks like something out of a Early Parenting mag. If only Sam's ugly legs weren't in the way.

Fausett Family said...

How fun! I haven't been to the zoo in forever! You guy are all so cute!

Danarae and Joshua Macey said...

Yea for heading to the beach! Nothing better than a little impromptu!! Josh and I just did that this last weekend. We stayed up in phoenix for a little night to ourselves and soaked in the sun at the pool. We water logged it for the whole time until check out at noon. We had lunch at the Breakfast Club! it was so much fun!! I can't wait till we have a new addition to lug around with us!! Hopefully one day soon! Leah was so cute on the beach and in the zoo :) Glad you guys had fun!! Oh! and such a cute picture on your profile!! Love and miss you babe!! xoxo