Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy Birthday, Little Girl



Dear Leah Mae, 

On May 11th, 2008, your dad, Grammy and I were at the Oakland temple when I started to feel a strange aching in my right leg. You were 1 day overdue and I was LARGE... as your Aunty Bethany put it, "I was no small kitten." It was a beautiful mother's day so I wasn't too concerned that a day of walking around had caused some new aches and pains. We went home to our apartment in Walnut Creek and settled into a game of rummicub when the aching in my leg intensified. When Grammy's leg massage didn't ease the pain, I called my doctor. She immediately told me I needed to come in. I remember feeling a wave of panic upon hearing the concern in my doctor's voice. Grammy was very excited when I looked at her with tears in my eyes and told her we had to go. Your dad turned white, but in true daddy form, remained calm, kissed me on the head and said, "let's go baby." 
The drive into the city was quiet, with an occasional shout of excitement from Grammy. When we checked in to the hospital I had to get an ultrasound on my leg to make sure I didn't have a blood clot. The ultrasound tech told me I had "beautiful veins" and that everything was fine. I was elated when my doctor told me, "everything is great with your leg but there's no need to send you home, I'd rather deliver this baby!" I can't even describe the tender feelings that overwhelmed me as I pictured seeing your face for the first time so soon. Your dad and I shed many tears that night as we waited for you. 
You were born at 6:09AM on May 12th, 2008 at UCSF. You had the most beautiful little face I've ever seen and a head full of dark hair. You won't understand until you hold my grandbabies in your arms how overwhelmingly happy, scared, protective and in love I felt the first time I held you. I kept imagining you leaving Heavenly Father to come down to me, and how much He must have already missed you. I felt so unequal to the task of being your mother. You were so divine, so close to Heaven. 
You have been such a good girl this year. You bring joy to everyone who sees you. I have never met such a bubbly, outgoing baby. You make me burst with joy every day and your dad's eyes light up whenever he's watching you. Only you. I love you more than I can say. Happy Birthday, little girl. 

Love, Mom


Little Miss Mae, 3 months


6 months


9 months

And Now....
 ONE YEAR OLD! Appropriately, in her birthday suit!

And a couple more for the road...

Baby kisses and watching Leah and Sam together... these are a few of my favorite things.


In the foyer at church...

8 comments:

Meradith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~Mike & Mackenzie said...

Happy Birthday Leah! What a cute little rump in that last picture!! It looks like it needs a pinch:-)

Such a cute post too!! Your such a good mom!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Happy birthday baby Leah! You and my baby will are exactly 1 month and one day and 1 hour apart (or close enough.) That was a very sweet post!

Kent said...

That post has told me more about your family than Sam has ever said about himself.

On a different note, I feel the same way about child-rearing as you do about landscaping.

Courtney said...

What a sweet, poetic post...

I can picture very vividly your drive with the occasional squeal from Nancy in the back... haha!

I will still maintain that Leah is easily the prettiest newborn I've EVER seen. She hasn't outgrown that, either...

Oh, how quickly they grow!

Danarae and Joshua Macey said...

Oh nessa....You are so blessed! Heavenly Father could not have placed our little Leah with better parents!! That was a very cool letter for you to write her! She will treasure that forever I'm sure!! I miss you and two is too old for me to have never met your little munchkin!! We need a visit!! Bring her here and we'll get her in the pool :) Infact, we should just host a Garner and Collard reunion! I think it's appropriate and MUCH needed!! xoxoxo
Ps. can you please pass it on to mera that I posted more pics-I can't get on her site. :(

Unknown said...

What a sweet post Leah is so beautiful and extremely smart and talented but that’s no surprise statistics show those with the middle name Mae are quite extraordinary.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Leah. You don't me but I have been stalking you for a year now on your Mom's blog. I think you are freakishly, freakishly adorable and I have no doubt that you inherited your mother's keen sense of humor. Eat some cake for me okay?