Saturday, April 11, 2009

Hail The Conquering Hero....ME!!


Today was an exciting day! This morning I went on a run and happened upon THIS: 

I, of course, was a smitten kitten, oohing and ahhing and giggling, drawing everyone's attention who came by to the mama duck and her 11 darlings. The 5 year old in me nearly prevailed in convincing myself it would be a good idea to make off with one of the ducklings, but I resisted. 
Normally I would have just chalked this up to a lucky sighting to brighten my day, but there was more behind my run in with the little duck family... my ducky senses were being honed.  I'll tell you why.
A little later we were driving home from the grocery when I saw a duck, much like the mama I had seen this morning, on the side of the road quacking and circling around, agitated and distraught. I knew something wasn't right. I told Sam, "Look at that duck, that's not normal. I think she's looking for something." Sam drove past her without a thought. We were almost home when I made him turn around. 
When we got back to the duck she was still irritated, circling and quacking. "I think she's lost her ducklings." I said, and I hopped out of the car (much to my husband's dismay). There was a storm drain near and I went directly to it. On my hand and knees in the street, sure enough, I could see two little chirping ducklings at the bottom of the drain!!! My eyes brimmed with tears and my heart immediately broke for that little mama duck. So helpless, being able to hear her ducklings' cries but not being able to find them! They were chirping wildly, terrified. The mama bear in me took over. 
"We need a net!!" I shouted at Sam. He had gotten Leah out of the car and was standing in the street at this point. He looked at me, "Uh, well, we don't have one." Then I remembered I had left our tool kit in the trunk of the car. "Get the tools so we can take off this grate!"
Sam got our tool kit and, as luck would have it, our bathroom garbage pail that was still in the trunk from our move. After a struggle, he was finally able to get the grate off and I could see the drain was about 5 or 6 feet down. There were large tunnels running off of the hole in several directions and the ducklings, in fear, kept running off down the tunnels. Each time it happened, their cries would get softer and mama duck would come closer, calling loudly to them to bring them back in view. 
I laid on my stomach with the garbage pail in hand and hung from the waist into the drain. I could reach the garbage almost to the bottom and I hung there unsuccessfully for about five minutes, trying to coax the ducklings into the pail. We won't mention what a foolio I was, hanging upside down, trying to imitate the mama duck. 
After the ducklings scurried off down one of the tunnels again I pulled myself out of the hole and kneeled on the side of the street. I folded my arms and prayed that Heavenly Father would please help me save these little ducks. 
I shimmied on my stomach down into the drain again and, I'm not kidding, immediately BOTH ducklings came scurrying back and jumped up INTO my garbage pail!!!! I shouted out in laughter!! I couldn't BELIEVE it!!! I felt overwhelmingly thankful for my answered prayer. 
I hoisted the two little dears out of the hole and, after snapping a few pics, walked to mama who was still quacking up a storm a few feet away. 
I set the pail down in the grass and the ducklings hustled out to their mom. She quacked at them SO LOUDLY and I have never seen anything cuter as they JUMPED onto her back over and over! It was such a celebration!! After the reunion they fell right back into their little formation and started making their way off into an oblivion. Needless to say, our hearts were bursting...


The little fluff balls still captive in our garbage pail. So so cute. 

Sam took this little video after the glorious reunion


14 comments:

Tiffany Wilson said...

That really shows what a good person you are and what a sweet soul you have. "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these. . ." and I was really touched by your story (and I don't even like animals.)

Micaela said...

Vanessa!!! That story is the BEST! SO heartwarming and hilarious at the same time! You are such a HERO! Seriously that has got to be one of the greatest posts I've ever read! You and Meradith sure are animal lovers, you both have saved little animal lives! Too funny!

Courtney said...

Are you freaking kidding me? THAT is the MOST AMAZING thing I've read in a good long while. What is it with the Collard girls heroically rescuing wild animals? And.. I would have paid good money to drive along and see you descending into the earth to rescue those babes... haha! Truly magnificent!

P.S. You do know that ducks stalk Abram, right?

Jill Wilson said...

you are the cutest thing I have ever seen! That was an awesome story. Joey (my sis in law) and I were at the park once and some girls were trying to take a baby duck from its mama and Joey and I had to swing into action with them too. I probably wasnt the nice person that day but I was so worried about those babies!! Luckily they took off with their mama and those naughty girls never caught one ;)

Kent said...

I'm using this story in my next testimony.

The DeGraffs said...

best story ive ever heard in my frickin life! ive wanted to be a lot of things when i grow up: pro football player, pro soccer player, pro fighter, professional person, but never have i wanted to be anything as much as i now want to be a duck saver and post stories like this everyday! God would love me so much! sooo much! and so would ducks! as far as ducks are concerned i would be better than a prophet! thats how they see you vanessa!

sarawhat said...

ok, even though you don't exactly know me...I had to leave a comment about this story. I started CRYING! hahaha. Such women. This was such a sweet story, and what a hero you are!

Fausett Family said...

You are amazing! I proabably need to start paying attention more.

Jill Wilson said...

Vanessa- thank you so much for what you wrote on my blog. I am so sorry to hear that. I will keep you and Sam in my prayers as well. I know what you mean about really understanding the miracle that a child is when the struggle to have one is so great. I too KNOW that you guys will have another one when the time is right. We both need to keep reminding ourselves that everything happens according to HIS plan. I love you. Thank you again.

Author said...

You are amazing. I wish I could have been one of the people driving past. That would have been awesome to see. Im surprised no one stopped to see what you were doing.

Tiffany said...

I just want you to know that after reading this I instantly began demanding that Abram interrupt his studying and read your blog so I could share the enjoyment of the moment with someone. This story is great.

Audrey Henderson said...

there are tears in my eyes right at this very moment. a true lover of animals you are. we are pretty much the same, since i am an insane lover of animals, in fact my job is loving animals (i'm a vet tech) and pretty soon you are going to share in my love of chicago ... so awesome

Jeff and Michelle Galovan said...

Oh my gosh the is the cutest thing ever!! You are a true hero haha!! Seriously though I am so glad you saved those little ducks! That would be so sad to loss your little babies!

Unknown said...

How come stuff like that never happens to me?!?!? You should form a volunteer duck brigade and scour the neighborhood every weekend looking for lost ducklings. I would donate to the cause.