Thursday, March 26, 2009

It's Chi-Town, Baby!



So after the long and arduous process of applying for business schools, interviewing, exploring and twiddling our thumbs we are finally certain where we will be moving... CHICAGO!!! Sam will be attending the University of Chicago for his MBA starting in September and Leah and I will be dutifully tagging along for the ride. I'm dreading a few things... Chicago winters, OBAMA FEVER, leaving the west and close proximity to most of my family, and let's be honest, living on a student budget. But I'm also super excited for the new adventure. 

I'm thrilled about the prospect of being able to head up to campus to meet daddy for lunch and to escape the daily grind of "professional life." What can I say? Sam and I met at college and while I know it won't be nearly the same, I'm feeling especially smitten and romantic about the idea of living the student lifestyle again. No doubt I'll go loiter around the library once a week and make Sam pretend we're meeting for the first time... 

I've never been to Chicago before so I need all of you well-traveled folks to tell me the must-sees for my exploring pleasure. 

8 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

My brother and sister-in-law both live in Chicago, Downer's Grove. She says the winters there are absolutely brutal: colder temperatures (with the wind chill factor included) than the north pole!! So I have to send my apologies because that is gonna be hard. But Chicago is a beautiful and interesting city...I love Millenium Park.

Congrats to Sam on getting into school! The life of a student's wife definitely has its ups and downs so good luck!

Meradith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meradith said...

Debbie Downer of a comment, that first one! Holy crap! haha. Take comfort Nessa, the spring will be lovely as will the fall... if you can make it through the winter without committing suicide!! haha!! Joke Nessa joke, don't do it! We're so excited for you guys! And I can't wait to come visit you!!

~Mike & Mackenzie said...

This chapter of your life story sounds like the movies! I think it sounds exciting and it will definately be fun to look back on the experience the future!!

I hear it's pretty windy .. good thing you have naturally curly hair!

The experience will be what you make of it .. like I tell my kid "choose happy"!!

Keep us posted about your move:-)

Love ya!!

Jill Wilson said...

Its gonna be awesome and you will have the best memories ever living there!! I am excited to because we will be somewhat close ;) We will for sure have to get up there to take a Chicago dinner cruise or something like that with you guys! Its gonna be great!!

Court and Brade said...

i am in love with chicago and would LOVE to live there... really! Our brother Jared lives in Milwaukee, which is about and hour and a half from Chi town, so I have been there quite a few times. Brade also sold in Chicago the summer we were engaged, so I went out there 3 times that year. I also have a cousin who lives there. They live downtown and she works for Wrigley. Anyway, if you want to talk to her or need to ask her any questions, let me know, I could give you her email or number. Another cousin of mine went to med school there too... So anyway, let me know if you need any info.. SO FUN. I am jealous!

Audrey Henderson said...

oh my gosh vanessa, i couldn't be more excited from you. i call chicago my home sweet home, i grew up there and pretty much miss it daily. You are one lucky chica, you will totally love the city, it's amazing. Yeah the winters are bad but it'll just make you super tough, and the coolness of chicago totally makes it all worth it. Let me know if you want any more info, i'm always always game to talk about my sweet chi-town.

Unknown said...

Wow how exciting I love role playing;) hahaha! No really that is so funny I can just imagine you the little innocent freshman at the library while Leah is hidden in your bookbag:)

I have never been to Chicago but I've heard great things and what an amazing adventure. Can't wait to see your blog and the many posts of exploring the city.