Saturday, June 19, 2010

Newest Chapter...

My brain is in a post-move mushy funk. And so this post will mostly be just a few pictures for the sake of updating. We made it to Baltimore---and Sam started his first week at his internship, a day that couldn't have come soon enough due to the extreme nerves/pant peeing that took over my husband during his last few days of freedom. We were happy to give him a kiss and give him the boot on Monday.

Before I get to talking about Baltimore, I will say that it seems that the insect population in Chicago joined forces and plotted our swift and sure exit from their city. I spent our last couple days there officially creeped out and heebie-geebie-ish when these little dears set up camp outside ALL of our windows:


I will freak out right now. I felt like I was on Arachnophobia. And they're not small, either. Like the size of a quarter. Want a closer look?

BLAM!

I think I just peed a little.

THEN! About an hour before we left, Sam opened the medicine cabinet in our bathroom and found this little P.O.S. making himself at home:
(That's my hand in the photo. To show you how big he was.)

Sam and I tried to kill him at first... but our united front against him quickly dissolved into rage and blaming and personal insults. The kind that only manifest themselves under circumstances of extreme duress and fear. The roach kept scurrying away, running into my bare feet, and across Sam's hand at one point. And each time he made a break for it I would become so overcome with terror that I'd botch the operation and prance around for 15 seconds straight, shaking all of the cockroaches off of me. Sam became so enraged that he banished me from participating... which I resented due to my superior skill and knowhow concerning most everything in general.

Nevertheless, I became quite liberated once I was dishonorably discharged from Operation Cockroach and listened intently from the safety of the living room as chaos erupted and then ended abruptly with an ear-splitting STOMP! After which, Sam emerged from our bedroom with his arms raised above his head, nodding slowly.... little remnants of cockroach dangling from his mouth. Victory was sweet. And it was his.

And then I sent him off with a clorox wipe to dispose of his prey properly. Because there wasn't actually cockroach remnants around his mouth. Just mostly all over the floor.

And so we gave Chicago and the spiders and the cockroaches the bird and headed off on our adventure to Maryland.

Our little, furnished apartment reminds me of our home when we lived in downtown San Francisco. Which gives me bitter-sweet-newlywed-blissful-no-kid feelings. Anyway, we're right by the harbor and there are lots of shops and restaurants and everything splendid in and around our building.

A shot of inside:

Views from our windows:

A little stroll with the Bischoffs down to the harbor two blocks from our building:

We took the day Saturday to head down to Vienna to visit Sam's brother, Joe, and his family. Heather, Joe's wife, gave birth to their 5th child one week ago, but that didn't stop her from preparing a delicious barbeque feast for us. It was a delightful day, indeed.

Pictures of Leah and her cousin, Maggie. Maggie is a complete chimp in the climbing department and left Leah in the dust all day. Here she had climbed into her crib, and then quickly out again as soon as Leah caught up with her.... took Leah a good 15 minutes of grunting and heaving to get out of that crib...

Maggie is of the mind-set that smiling for pictures is unfashionable. Much like her dad... and our ancestors of old. Every time she saw the camera, she'd get this very solemn look on her face. I thought she was quite dignified for a 2 year old. Leah, on the other hand. Well...

Babies gone wild

The few pictures I got of the boys were mostly far away of them playing soccer. And therefore quite uninteresting. I will send them to you, though, Heather. Thanks for the glorious day!

In other news, Carina and I have been exploring around (what would I do if she wasn't here with me!?!?!) and set off to a giant mall out in the burbs' the day before yesterday. We felt fat and ashamed with our pregnant selves when we were both pretty much out of commission yesterday... blaming our comatose state on "really overdoing it at that mall!"

I'm planning my most exciting venture to date today... a little jaunt to a fudge shop down the way that Carina has been raving about. It will probably earn its very own blog post.

10 comments:

E B said...

Gross! We have the giant spiders all over all of our windows too but I have yet to find a cockroach. I hope it stays that way. (Shudder, shudder) I'd yet to see a pic of Maggie, so thanks!

Amber said...

SICK! Texas had some big old cock roaches and ugghh. they give me the creeps. That was a lovely thing to look at after dinner, thanks. ; )

Glad to see you made it safely and you are off sight seeing, visiting family, and enjoying your stay.
Miss you guys!

Meradith said...

I see the manicure we got while we were together has still held up for you. One thing is for sure, you were definitely blessed with are supremely feminine hands Nessa! I love love love your hands! Especially your right one, the one you've chosen to showcase on this post. You should write a blog post about your stint with hand modeling... don't be modest. It's time you told people how you made your first mil. And that you had to keep your one hand in a glass case for several years.

And I can't freaking believe how big that roach is! Puts it all in perspective with you holding your hand up to it!! Never seen one so big! So crazy!!

Has there ever been a more luciously divine child to roam the earth than that Leah Mae?!? Good grief. Get her out here!!! And you too Nessa! And that right hand of yours!

ShaLyse Walker said...

Who is this Carina bit*h and why is she your new best friend?

Meradith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meradith said...

P.S. Jason was just reading my comment and revealed to me a typo, when I said "you were definitely blessed with are supremely feminine hand, Nessa!" I feel the need to clarify that I first wrote "your hands are supremely feminine, and that's why that measly "are" made it into that sentence in the first place. By typing "are supremely feminine hands," I was NOT trying to say, "our supremely feminine hands."

I needed to get that off my chest, because I judge people really harshly who say "are" instead of "our", and "their" when they're meaning "there" and so on and so forth. I mostly didn't want you thinking you got all the brains in the family, like I got all the brauns.

I still can't believe Sam ate that cock roach! You told me he enjoyed hunting for food but I had no idea he was so extreme.

Mimi said...

Ewww...I'm glad you got away from those creepy spiders and roaches before they ate your luscious little baby!! Speaking of luscious, I should warn you to warn Leah that Josh and Avery have been caught getting a little frisky with each other lately. Just sayin, she might want to come out for a little visit to defend her territory...

Your place looks so nice! I'm jealous of that amazing looking kitchen! I'm so glad you like it and that you're having wonderful adventures with Carina before you leave for a while. It has been SOOOO nice to have a good friend here with me, so I know how you feel. Can't wait to hear about that fudge shop!!

Carina said...

You weren't kidding about those spiders! YIKES! Brooklyn was seriously grossed out by them when she saw them on your blog. It feels so refreshing to be out of Hyde Park for more then 1 reason. :)

Glad we can share this time together. Just wish it could last longer! I hope that the traveling is an enjoyable experience for you though. We'll miss you greatly!

Author said...

I am so jealous! I would love to just move somewhere for a couple months just to shake things up - and then I realize Im 7 months pregnant and that may not be such a good idea - but I can DREAM can't I! Ugh! Pregnancy Blows! Post lots and lots so I can live vicariously. Im dying!

Unknown said...

So you are way over due for a response but it just so happens that we too are in the middle of our big move...to alaska. I always did think that I would make a good Eskimo :) I definitely have the cheeks for it. We are in ut now but Terr drives the Uhauls up this week with a buddy and then I will join him soon. I was semi excited for the move at first but then seeing the pics of your new abode sent me spiraling into a deep depression...boo. Oh and thanks for all the comments on my blog. I know u just wanted it to look like I had lots of friends cuz u felt bad ;) haha.