Sunday, July 5, 2009

Loving Me Some America!

I woke up early on Saturday morning, snuck out to our balcony storage, and dug out this gem of an outfit Sam donned for Halloween a couple years back. I was thrilled with myself as I neatly laid it out on our bed next to my peacefully snoozing husband and waited for him to wake up. It was clearly the PERFECT outfit for him to wear to our Independence Day festivities but he refused... Apparently Sam's not very patriotic. 


On a different note, we did have an excellent 4th.  We took dinner to Sam's grandparent's house in Davis and had a great meal with them. They're the peachiest McPeachys ever. Grandpa can barely hear and Grandma can't see a thing so they make a lively duo!

Leah was the biggest wretch and would scream bloody murder every time I tried to set her with either of them. Gma kept saying, "Doesn't she even know her own Grandma!?" Broke my heart. Here are the only two halfway decent shots we got:


Their back yard is a wonderland with just about every kind of fruit tree you can imagine. They even grow pomegranates, much to my delight. Grandpa's latest treasures are his two 12 foot sunflowers you can see to the right of Leah.   


It was 107 degrees in Davis yesterday and Sam and I were both sweaty and mangy after 5 minutes outside. Hence the greasiness in this photo. 


When we sat down to eat, Gma and Gpa were both thrilled to offer Leah the use of their high chair. Little did we know it was actually the first high chair ever produced. It was no less than 117lbs.


Sam and Leah after a healthy helping of Grandpa's home made strawberry ice cream. My husband is hot.


Honestly, there's not much that can lift your spirits like a visit with tender grandparents. I loved listening to Grandma's encouraging words about moving to Chicago. In 1943, they met and fell in love there where they were both stationed during WWII, so of course they have great memories to share. 
Grandpa told us that every time someone visits, he/she says something to the effect of, "We wanted to make it out here to see you one last time." So, here's to hoping that wasn't the last time we, or Leah, gets to visit with Francis and Pauline.

After dinner we went to the local Davis 4th of July fiesta. Aka white trash fest. Sorry folks. Nothing like a free public gathering with food and "entertainment" to bring out the high society. Sam snapped some pics of two of the sweetest she-mullets I have ever seen. Much to my dismay, the pics didn't turn out so instead... drum roll please.... LEAH!


Another signature prom shot. 

You would have thought collecting leaves off the ground and handing them to Sam was the most exciting thing going on at the park that day. Personally, I thought it was the 50 year old Davis High School Alumni rock band ensemble singing a heavy metal version of the school fight song that was the real high point. 
I love the 4th!

This was just a quick shot I took at church today. Leah was all joyous and gleeful here because she had just snagged the little morsel she's hoarding from a much younger, smaller playmate. We've taught her well. 


The only other pic I took. I just like the way she looks here for some reason. Stinky little girl. I love her. 


4 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

You are hilarious, loved the comment about the high chair. And those are definitely some sexy pants Sam had, you don't wanna take a roundhouse to the head with those bad boys on. Aaron wants to be that guy for halloween now.

sarawhat said...

That high chair is awesome.... should TOTALLY be featured in the Smithsonian (sp?) or something. Aren't old people the best? I'm so glad Sam married a girl with some wits..you're writing is always clever/funny...and I'm sure that works to your benefit with him. He needed someone to outsmart him. :) You guys are cute and I love all your prom shots!

Kent said...

I was insulted you didn't include me as Kip in the Rex Kwon Do pics.

You make Davis sound like the greatest place on earth. Which...it most certainly is.

Also, I'm glad you think that Sam is hot, because I've never really been attracted to him.

Unknown said...

She is so adorable I can't but think she looks so much like you with the little curls! Hope we can see her again let us know when you are in town again.