Tuesday, August 12, 2008

THUMBS SUCK....




So... Leah discovered her thumb is ideal for sucking the other day.... I thought it was the cutest thing I'd ever seen. I shouted for Sam to come look but immediately regretted it... when he set his sights on our little girl, sucking away, I watched as his eyes bugged out of his head and glazed over ... I knew the damage was done.
You see, Sam sucked his thumb till the ripe age of 8. Those of you who know him may find this alarming but it was so bad that his big brother Joe coated his thumb in paint thinner... Much to his dismay, Sam found the thinner to be delicious! Joe had unwittingly introduced him to a new addiction that would take him years to kick.  
As a final resort, he began surprising Sam in the night.  If he found Sam sucking, he would drag him out of bed and make him do pushups... he once did 350 ... The memories still haunt him to this day....
Hours after Leah's thumb sucking incident, after we'd all gone to bed, I was awakened by shouting in the living room.  Given Sam's past, I wasn't surprised when this is what I saw...








................









12 comments:

Author said...

That is hilarious!!! Leah is so strong and beautiful! I just cant stop laughing at this post. Its awesome! I hope you are all well. Let's get together soon.

Meradith said...

HAHAHAHA Yes yes yes!!! Sam is a beater of a father I knew it all along I was just waiting for something to happen like this to confirm all my suspicions! haha just picture. The thumb suck IS the most adorable thing I've ever seen, that pic of Leah is sooo cute.. and I feel sorry for Sammy's scarred childhood. I hope you let him suck his thumb once in a while Ness. I hope you let him do it for old times sake. I let Jason wet the bed occasionally because he had similar childhood trauma... and I tell him I love him anyways.

Jill Wilson said...

I was an 8 year old thumb sucker myself!! I kept it on the down low everywhere except home (thanks goodness :D) I kicked it around 8 too- haha! Those pics are awesome!

ShaLyse Walker said...

NEssy!!! I love this post. My fave of all time. hahahaha Leah sucking her thumb is the cutest thing I've ever seen.
Oh, and ps...go to this link
http://www.ashleyhollis.typepad.com/

ENTER THE GIVE AWAY! It's from ME!!!!!!!

Courtney said...

Haven't laughed this hard in a good long while! It seems Leah is about the same age Brinlee was when she discovered her thumb--- it has BEGUN! But, truly, they are way more convenient (and even probably amazingly enough more clean than a paci so....)
She is so darling and growing super fast (easy to say when I'm not the caretaker up in the wee hours with her :)

Glad you're blogging... welcome to an unhealthy addiction :)

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

That is pretty funny, I am not suprised I am laughing at a post from you though!

Marissa said...

What a darling little girl!
I saw your parents last time I was in Idaho Falls, your mother looks great! We ran into them while hunting through garage sales with my entire family. Tom (my other half) had never been to a garage sale so my mom broke him in...poor guy. Anyway, I hope all is well with you and your lovely little family. And yes, blogging is a little addicting, but fun. Mine is www.muffins-life.blogspot.com

The DeGraffs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meradith said...

Look at that left hand of hers! Elephantitis! Yes yes fatty Yes! I can't wait til you get here sissy!

Unknown said...

You should have seen little Sam doing those pushups. It was amazing. No cheating on form, either, they were legit!

Jeff and Michelle Galovan said...

That is soo cute and funny! I wish lydia would suck her thumb! Its way easier than a binkie! I love her pushup! Shes so strong!

Micaela said...

I just LOVE your baby! Hadley was wearing a size 4 diaper at 2 months Leah reminds me a lot of her... such a cutie!